Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who will make custom strings and how much $$ do you have to flash?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Captain_joe6, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Just toying with ideas, as usual. This time I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a 6-string contact core string set, stainless steel, that would fit a dingwall. I know, lots of specifics in there. Better question would be, does anyone know of any company or organization that will make custom-wound strings? Any idea what a custom set might run, $$-wise, provided, of course, that I ordered maybe 50-100 sets (a liberal lifetime supply considering my current age of 20)?

Thanks all!

2. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    id just like to point out... what if your tastes in strings change?

thats a lot of left over sets

3. I very much agree. I'm only playing hypotheticals here, and contact-core's in super long length and 6-string sets are something I'd very much like to see.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You might post this question over on the Dingwall board. I believe that Sheldon has his strings custom made by GHS to his specs. I find his strings to be probably the best strings I've used. To me they're better than the D'Addario, Rotos, DR's and GHS strings I've tried. They seem to last longer too.

What kind of Dingwall do you play?

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I contacted many companies when I first started to look for alternate strings for my Dingwall and one of the only ones that would entertain the idea was SIT. Many others said they do not have, and would not make any. I am not sure on the pricing. I ended up finding a couple of existing sets that would fit.