Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who would recommend for ordering a Custom G&L ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 15, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

For those who have or are going to who would you recommend for ordering a Custom G&L ? . You have to price shop because their can be a big diffrence in price quote from the few i have checked out.Thanks

2. MAJOR METAL

Monday Morning Bump !

3. The two that seem to get universal good reviews seem to be Buffalo Bros. and Bass NW. I know both of them are full G&L dealers who do a good job of "service after the sale" as well.

Jay

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    In the past I have ordered 2 G&L's - a fretless L2000 and a fretted L2500. They were both really nice basses. I sold them because I had a chance to pick up a couple Ken Smith Anniversary basses - which I later sold. That's another thread.

Anyway, the G&L's were fantastic basses, lots of tones and VERY hot pups. Thye felt great and the finish was fantastic. Greta detail. As many say, the way a Fender should be built.

5. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I'll put in another mention for Bass Northwest. Evan, Chad and their employees are the best I've ever dealt with. All of them are fine players in their own right, and they really work with you to get you what you want and need, at a great price, and with super service afterwards.

Good luck!

6. MAJOR METAL

Thanks for the feedback guys !:)

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Kevin, though I don't have any experience ordering from them, I'll have to give another A+ to Buffalo Bros. Since my dad is a G&L collector, we've had lots of dealings with them, and they have been top-notch all the way.

8. MAJOR METAL

Thanks Adron :)

Buffalo Brothers also seems to have the best prices on G&L's from what i have seen thus far.

9. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

The place I ordered the 2 new brand G&Ls from no longer sells direct (and I don't have those particular G&Ls any more either). If I were looking to order again now I'd get quotes from (in no particular order):

BassNW
    BuffaloBros
    Guitar Adoptions
    Matt's Music
    Bass Central

and then decide based on price, my perception of their service (and my need for service as a remote customer), etc. . . .

10. MAJOR METAL

Man i have got some serious GAS for a Semi Hollow ASAT bass , i am still comparing prices you would be suprised how much they can vary.

11. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I'll put in a third good word for Bass NW. I bought my Ric there and they have great service and are super nice guys.

12. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    MM,
    I've owned a couple of G&L's. They were great basses. They were both SB-2's. One was from the early 1980's, my favorite. The other was from the mid 1990's with the little pointy thing on the headstock. Never had an active one, which I believe the ASAT HB is. A friend of mine has an active L1000, that he loves.
    To this point, the resale value of these basses has been poor. But if you keep it, no problem. The resale of these basses should come around, they are the most evolved of Leo Fender's designs afterall.
    BassNW is great to deal with in my experience.
    RD

13. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

News from NAMM has it the newest G&L dealer on the block is none other than the Dude himself.

That's where I plan on going for new G&Ls from now on . . .