1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who would you like to see get a signature bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by HunterBurgan4Me, Mar 4, 2013.

1. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Mar 6, 2010
    I've seen signature basses from several people who (in my own biased opinion) may not have contributed enough to the art of bass playing to deserve one. I was just wondering who you've ever dreamed of seeing/playing a signature bass by?

For me it would be Klaus Flouride and Futoshi (Dead Kennedy's and Maximum the Hormone)

2. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Sep 30, 2012
    Bruce Thomas (Elvis Costello & The Attractions)

3. I_LIEK_BASE

I_LIEK_BASE

Feb 6, 2013
    Milwaukee
    +1

...also Me!

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    revised:
    Prince (remove)
    Esperanza
    Lenny Kravitz
    Mike Mills (REM)
    Colin Greenwood Radiohead
    Ben Shepherd Soundgarden
    because Fender needs more signature basses.

5. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    George Porter Jr. Get on it, Lakland!

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2003
    NY, County of Orange
    Trujillo has one already...

And the Godfather of Heavy Metal bassists is about to be announced. :bassist:

7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Louis Johnson, Berry Oakley!

8. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Jamerson! And not that half-assed 1993 thing with just the little inscription on the neck plate. Make a transition-logo '64 like his with the covers installed, LaBella flats, correct color and reasonably similar tort guard. Then make a big promo push. I'd wager a bet that 99% of us didn't even realize they did a little run of those through Bass Center L.A. all those years ago!

9. John Paul Jones.

It must include no logo on the headstock.

10. Kazz3lrath

Kazz3lrath

Jan 5, 2012
    I was gonna say Justin Chancellor, since he's so unique, but who would make it? Wal? You couldn't have a JC Fender, it just wouldn't work.

11. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Lexxi Foxx, I would so have bought the pink polka-dotted Kramer D-1!

12. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Stanley Clark wait he already have an alembic....

13. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    This is his signature bass, the Manson JPJ E-Bass, but it has a logo...

http://www.mansonguitarworks.com/in...-bass-john-paul-jones-signature-bass-guitar-4

large_4.

Goes for around £2099 by the looks of it. I want one. Doesn't have to be the JPJ, but something like it would be nice. I think the whole signature bass thing is a bit of a marketing trick, but if it's a good bass I don't care how they try to sell it.

14. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Nobody. Signature models are just a marketing ploy. Buying a pair of Jordans doesn't make you better at dunking a basketball.

15. Soppy Hat

Soppy Hat

Jul 14, 2012
    3810628834_d8a3190b99.

A Nikki Monninger thunderbird!

She often plays a white one. It's already the perfect foil to Nikki Sixx's... signature... gothbird... shudder. If the stylized, attention-grabbing Nikki gets a 'Bird, the cute, shy one should get one too. Girl is awesome. :D

Nikki:

16. Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree has been using Spectors pretty consistently since 2007's "Fear Of A Blank Planet", so I think his 2012 Spector Custom Shop USA Series Bolt-On NS-4H2-MM 4-String Fretless (Unlined Ebony Fingerboard) with 2 EMG MM-TW pickups, Aguilar OBP-3 preamp & Black Hipshot hardware in High Gloss Black Cherry would be a great addition to their Signature Basses...

attachment.

17. Roger Glover: Deep Purple
    Mike Inez: Alice In Chains
    Robert DeLeo: Stone Temple Pilots

18. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Caleb Scofield (Cave In, Zozobra, Old Man Gloom)
    Brian Cook (Russian Circles, Botch, These Arms Are Snakes)

19. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Gotta go with David J Haskins...since Fender doesn't make anything like his right now.

-Flat-black Precision bass body with flat-black pickguard. Headstock and string tree painted flat black to match body.
    -Standard chrome hardware
    -Fretless rosewood fretboard on maple p-bass neck
    -D'Addario chromes flatwounds
    -(Not sure what exact pickup he used, but it had nothing but the precision neck pickup)

Definitely a unique looking bass! I made a custom similar to it, but used a fretted maple fretboard with a Dimarzio Will Power Middle pickup and all black hardware. Just put my spin on it. Would definitely like to see his made though!

20. Auspex

Auspex

Jan 30, 2013
    Boise, Idaho
    +1 on both of these. My favorite players from similar bands:

Troy Sanders : Mastodon

Jeff Caxide : Isis

Dan Briggs : Between the BUried and Me.

Now that that's said, I think sig basses are a little silly - I certainly wouldn't spend the extra cash on one.