1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who would you say is the best metal bassist??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Danny E, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Who would you say is the best metal bassist?? I would personally say Steve Harris of Iron Maiden. I have asked this a lot to other bassists at my school, at open mic nights etc... Every one seems to say either Steve Harris, Cliff Burton or Geezer Butler, who are all great bassists. But few people say anybody other than that. I am thinking about people like Rob Trujilo, Ian Hill, David Ellefson, people like that. I am really interested in hearing people's opinions on this question. Feel free to add your thoughts on other metal bassists other than the ones that I have mentioned.

Thanks for reading, Daniel

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Yes

factorplayer, danesdad, 9c1ny and 8 others like this.
  3. yes??

4. nuage420b

nuage420b Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Right now I'm really digging Robert Trujillo he is a monster. Listen to his solos and his non Metallica stuff. If we're staying "metal" only Ryan Martinie is right there with him.

Ryno1330, Selios, ELG60 and 9 others like this.
  5. Yes, Rob Trujilo is an absolute beast. But who is better, him or Cliff Burton??

ELG60 likes this.
  6. It's Heavy Metal:

This guy wrote the songs!

danesdad, Wisebass, design and 13 others like this.
  7. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Trujillo. No question about it. He has had twice as long to develop. We're Burton still alive it would probably be a different story.

dpaul likes this.
  8. I will probably come under fire for this, but I am I the only one who thinks that Cliff is a bit overrated, or it is wrong to call him the best of all time. Of all time, I'd have to say that either John Entwhistle or Les Claypool would be the best. I also think that he didn't have a long enough career for him to show more of what he can do. Had he lived longer, I may have different opinions.

Daniel

sotua, andruca, br1qbat and 8 others like this.
  9. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Nah man, we're on the same page. And Les has to be the most innovative bassist ever. That guy blasted through every boundary and broke every rule there was for the instrument. If we're talking all time all genre I'm putting him up there.

danesdad, jetsaber, Squittolo and 3 others like this.
  10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Yes, they are all great players.

No-one is THE greatest. One day you will figure that out.

Mr Cheese, Roger W, BassinCT and 13 others like this.
  11. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Steve Harris is my favorite metal bassist, and one of my reasons for playing. Of course, there is no best :) but I will give him the crown if a crown must be handed out :)

Sixgunn, Selios, Kenova and 1 other person like this.
  12. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    Behind you!
    There are so many incredible bassists in the realm of metal. Where to even begin?

Obvious additions to any "awesome metal bassist" thread, other than the ones already mentioned, would be Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse, Blotted Science), John Myung (Dream Theater), Steve DiGiorgio (who hasn't he played with?)... the list goes on and on and on....

9c1ny, br1qbat, Reedt2000 and 5 others like this.
  13. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Rudy Sarzo ;)

Bret Music, Root 5, ELG60 and 6 others like this.
  14. Ok, when I do figure it out, i'll get back to you. Steve Harris is still the best though

15. So you're a fan of Geezer. Love his tone

16. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Currently? Colin Marston

Go check out his work with Dysrhythmia, Gorguts, and Behold... The Arctopus

Dude is on another level, with a very unique playatyle and tone.

Other than him, probably Dominic Forrest LaPointe. Check out the latest Augury record, or his band Teramobile.

17. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Millsboro,DE
    3B3F87D9-430B-4407-AA6B-4407BC6D1291.jpeg
    Theyre all good at what they do and with so many subgenres you cant compare all bassists with eachother.

Root 5, danesdad, deernaes and 10 others like this.
  18. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Steve Harris. How many immortal metal songs has he composed?

br1qbat likes this.
  19. WeirdWyvern

WeirdWyvern

Jun 2, 2020
    2 awesome players that haven't been mentioned are Justin Chancellor of Tool and Adam Nolly Getgood. Justin Chancellor has inspired me so much.

20. John Myung is certainly the most technically talented metal bassist. I'm sure he can play any genre with his music knowledge. But David Ellefson is definitely the best metal bassist ever for me. For years I've been listening to him and I still can't find out how he can come up with such ridiculously strange bass riffs. Perhaps it's about working with Dave Mustaine but who knows, maybe it was Dave Jr. who made Megadeth sound so unique and Dave Mustaine become a guitar god. David Ellefson is strangely creative and unusual. I can't play some of his riffs good enough because I don't use a pick, but he still is the best metal bassist IMO of course.