Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whoa, Conan O'Briens bassist was just tearing it up

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, May 7, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've always dug his playing and think he has a beautiful tone. During the music for the commercial break, he totally started laying down a sweet groove. Just thought I should let everyone know. :p

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    He was playing the red Lull, right?

Mike Merritt's been tearing it up for many years. He's the son of jazz bassist Jymie Merritt.

3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    haha wow, I think this is the first time I've seen the camera actually focus on him! But he ripped out an awsome line! I was reading an article on the net, when I just heard it comming out of the TV and i was like "woah!". I had to look away from what I was doing :p

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah...he is a great player, great tone, impeccable playing, and timing.

conan has the best band.

5. now if only he would do something about the rest of the show:meh:
    just kiddin'. or am i?

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.

There's no accounting for taste when it comes to humor. I freely admit I have pretty bad taste, and I love Conan's show.

Conan was a head writer for The Simpsons for a while and came up with a lot of good stuff.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    In my opinion....Conan is one of the funniest people in america.

8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I was just about to start a thread about that. I thought it was pretty cool, not only that they worked in a little mini-solo, that everybody else just dropped back, but that the camera got right on him. Very cool.

I concede that I regularly watch Conan (if the syndicated episodes of Seinfeld that run opposite it aren't good ones), that I like it, and that it could be a lot better. They're very hit and miss there. A lot of the stuff is really funny, but a lot of it lacks comedic polish.

Two things really bother me: when the guests are the lamest guests you could possibly get (he really shouldn't still be having Al Roker on), and Conan's incessant self-deprecating. We understand that nobody watches your show, or if they do it's only to lull them to sleep, and if they yell "I love you!", they're guys. It was funny for a little while. Not anymore.

9. Yeah, I saw and heard that! That was awesome...even the guitarist in my band thought it was cool!

10. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Conan only self depreciates because he dosn't like being cool or liked, he's not trying to be funny.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    A lot of his skits fall flat, while some are halirous. (I guess that is do to them doing a lot of expiermental humour)

His monologue jokes are usually always halirous. (though I don't think he writes the monologue , please correct me if I'm wrong)

The best part though is Conan always has great chemistry with the guests. He make watching the most boring guest, entertaining.

12. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I was just watching Conan on Comedy Central, and he said that on May 15, they're going to do an all-claymation show. From start to finish. They showed the little set and the clay characters. Very Weird.

13. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Conan himself is quite a guitar enthusiast. He plays a lot of rockabilly and owns a couple of nice old Gretches. That band is a great bunch of guys. I hung out with the guitarist, Jimmy Vivino, quite a bit when a friend's band did the show. Jimmy also plays with organist Al Kooper- a friend of mine (he actually played at my wedding last year. The last time he played a wedding was in 1957 and Paul Simon was on guitar). Anyway, Jimmy is a great guy and a really skilled guitarist. Those guys all get paid top bucks for a few hours a day of work and weekends off for their own gigs. Thye all seemed extremely happy with the gig.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    And they get to hang out with Conan...see my above post ;)

15. what kind a bass does he use??~?? pics??~??

16. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA

you mean "clay animation" lol (had to see the show to know):D

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Conan's band is awesome, and the dudes in Dave Letterman's band and Jay Leno's band are great players, but personally I still think the Saturday Night Live Band is the best one out there. Lenny Pickett just tears it up every show.

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    they have a great mix as well, Leno and Letterman - the mix just outright sucks!!

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Man, I would love to just go through Jimmy's guitari collection. I've never seen someone with so many guitars.

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have to go along with the guitar collection comment. My faves have been the Moderne, the Clapton-Cream-Era-SG-copy, and the custom model with a body that looked like the cartoon of Conan's head.