Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whoa. Freaking...whoa.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    150+ killed, 227 children sent to hospital.

The separatists were saying yesterday that for every one of their comrades that die at the hands of Russians, they'll kill fifty children.

Apparently, they're estimating around 1200 were held hostage at one point.

Russian soldiers stormedthe school in what was (according to Russian security services) an assault without any sort of plan, resulting in the deaths of many and the wounding of over five hundred. Damn.

PS: No political talk here about why these chechen rebels are doing this, y'all can use PMs and the lounge for that.

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    :(What a terrible thing to do. You can't really say much more than that.

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  5. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    That's just terrible.

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Very tragic indeed, I was up at 4AM this morning watching this happen nearly live. I hope this doesn't broach into the political realm, but I find it hard to believe that since they were holed up for nearly 3 days, the Russian's didn't have time to come up with a plan for storming the place. It seems they didn't even bother to properly secure the area since I have heard at varyous times that between 5 and 13 of the kidnapper group managed to escape. They also knew from the previous group of hostages that were freed that the group had wired and possibly booby trapped the building with explosives. That doesn't make for a decent location to go barging in without a plan. If I remember correctly, The Russian Police have had that problem in hostage situations in the recent past also. Wasn't it them who released a knockout gas into a nightclub that was being held hostage and ended up killing 150 or so of the hostages because they pumped in too much and didn't plan for clearing it out? For as much a shame it is for these terrorists to be doing what they are doing (regarless of their rationale), it seems that if you are a hostage in Russia you are in as much danger from the authorities as you are from the bad guys.

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

the seperatists are so brave they use women and children as shields...
    :eyebrow:

f'ing sad , such a waste of life ...

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What about the theatre indicent in the 90's? Killed hundreds of hostages with anesthetic gas that was supposed to save them. *shakes head*

9. Whats especially sad was in my local paper they said some of the terrorists would let a parent go, but they only got to pick just one of their children to go with them and live. Just tragic.

10. That was 2 years ago in Oct.

The way I heard it was it wasn't a "rescue attempt" per se.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/09/03/russia.school/index.html

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    they aren't "chechen separatists" they are Islamic terrorists. Let's call them what they are. 9 of those killed so far were arabs.

From what I've read so far they didn't storm it without a plan, they were planning some sort of negotiation but some shooting from the terrorists prompted a gun battle. I believe it happened when some of the kids got away and the terrorists started shooting them from the roof so the police fired back. These people are spineless.

brad cook

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hundreds of hostages died in that? I vaguely remember the incident but I was thinking that only a few people died.

brad cook

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea that was the one I was referring too. I believe it was a nightclub.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I heard well over 150 or 200. But, like any source of international terrorism, the real death count usually isn't known by anybody.

That may be, but I haven't seen too islamic terrorists call for the liberation of Chechnya. How about you?

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It was a cinema, not a nightclub

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You're seeing it right now, my friend.

brad cook

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Nope, theatre. I saw the video of the actual incident. They took over the theatre during some Russian musical.

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Chechens are muslim, hence you would call them arabs. The struggle and civil war between Russians - then Soviets - trying to conquer and subdue that part of land and Chechens has been going on for decades, and chechens were always known for bloody retaliations. They've blown up bombs by the hundreds, and most of those nowadays were aimed at civilians. In the last few years they have had suicide bombers and bombs at concerts, metro stations, government buildings, etc. and they have blown up a couple of blocks of houses (the Bauhaus type that may have over thousand small appartments), claiming thousands. The purpose was to pressure the Russian parliament to pull its troops out of Chechnya and no longer try to make that country a part of Russia - but the result was another assault; now here is the retaliation. Its a vicious circle - both sides retaliate with bloody attacks what the other has done/is doing. :rollno: This wont be the last we've heard of it, i'm afraid :(

19. I've heard upwards of 140, but here are two different numbers:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/fyi/news/10/27/russia.siege/

This stuff really angers me.