Whoa is me...which preamp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Well I've had to rethink the power amp situation because my WT-500 just wasn't cutting it when I ran two 8 ohm cabs. So I worked out the budget and picked up a power amp. I was going to use my WT-500 as a preamp. Now I'm not sure that I want to do that so I'm thinking that I should get a killer preamp. I kinda figured that since I'm a big fan of the "Eden" tone that I should get the Navigator (WP-100). I've found a decent deal on a used one. End of story? nope!

Now I've found a similar deal on the new Ashdown preamp. I've always liked the Ashdown tone but thought that the stuff may be a little on the breakable side. Geez do you have to send it back to England to get it fixed? I've since found that their stuff is really pretty rugged.

Oh well I called a shop that sells both lines and they said that the Eden is a great preamp and it would pretty much sound and work like my WT-500. But he said that Eden is voiced like a smiley-face tone setup. I've never really thought that but...
    Then he said that the Ashdown preamp is MUCH more flexible and open a whole lot more tone doors.

The shop isn't local so I'm not going to be able to try them side-by-side. So I'm looking for some input. It looks like I'm going to have to make a decision tonight and I'm leaning toward the Eden just because I know what to expect.

Thanks for any input.
  2. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN

If you want to buy a used Navigator, there is (or was) one in the Talkbass classifieds.

I've been told that that preamp sounds like Eden's other stuff, except that the compressor is lots better.

I like the Ashdown more. It has less eq versatility, but to me sounds fatter, warmer and more alive right out of the box. Plus it has that octave thing, which is very gimmicky - but it's a cool and useful gimmick.

I almost bought an Ashdown and still might. But the Aguilar DB680 (which I can't afford) sounds SO good! I also tried and liked a Demeter, but not the newer HP-whatever-it-is model. No one around here has it in stock.

Good luck,

3. JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Try the Alembic F1-X pre. Hot damn, its nice. And not very expensive either, unlike the Demeter and Aguilar.