Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHOA...Jauqo's new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angus, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Check this bass out! It's built by Dean Markley, and supposedly the strings they're trying out on it will be used for the Surine Jauqo signature. It'll be tuned like this bass...C#-F#-B-E!!! :eek:

[​IMG]

**A note from paul: I just got an email from Scott Surine of Surine Basses stating that the bass in this image is actually built by Surine Basses, and not Dean Markley. Sorry for the intrusion Angus :)**

How is this going to work? He MUST be running the Bag End elf system, or that thing isn't going to sound like much. Looks like some pretty enormous strings on it, too...

John Turner, you watching? I think you should be able to find bigger strings now!

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    ... whatever. :)

That's got to be at least a .150 on the C#. That's what, like a 17Hz fundamental? I can't imagine it produces much down there anyway, ELF shouldn't be required (probably at least 10dB down from the other harmonics, unless it's a significantly longer scale). That 2nd harmonic at 34hz could be pretty sweet I suppose.

Considering I can't get a B string to behave above the 5th fret (help anyone? :) ), it seems a little weird however. . .

3. I guess I don't understand the big deal. C# is higher than a B. It's just like tuning a bass guitar down 1 1/2 steps. Nothing radical.

But the strings look like a very extreme taper-wound. Like down to the core taper. No thanks man. It's hard to dig into a taper-wound...at least for me.

4. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    tufnuts, I think the Low B is the 2nd string... The Low F# is like the Low F# on JT's basses, and the Low C# is probably not going to sound like anything but a glorious fart. Didn't you notice how fat the strings are?

5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I guess the owner won't suffer any digestion-problems.

Considering it being a "signature instrument" of an "established player", it's a quite fascinating, interesting instrument.
    If it was an ordinary custom job, I would declare the owner a truly big fool.

He'll probably use a whammy pedal for being heard.

6. It's tuned this way:
    Lowest string: C#
    then: F# ( 5 Half-tones higher than C# )
    then: B ( again 5 half-tones higher )
    then: E ( your standard E , again 5 half tones higher than the previous string

You just have to love this :D

7. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    If that's the "signature instrument" of an "established player", you'd think he'd just get bigger bridge saddles made instead of using a standard 4 stringer bridge and tapered strings...

8. But the neck has to be pretty tough too...

9. I want one like that too! ;) :D

10. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    actually thicker strings don't need more tension, so not that much extra stress will be put on the neck than if it were a normal 4 stringer. The neck had better be VERY solid though, considering that flimsy necks can affect low B performance... not to mention anything lower.

11. that's what i was trying to say.

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Good Gawd. Look at the strings on that bass. man. those things are huge. If that bass does in fact produce any sound, hang on to your butts. that thing will bring the walls down.. pretty scary... I want one :)

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What kind of problem are you having?

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This is nothing new. Years ago I built a bass like this, used a suspension bridge cable for the low C (1.75 gauge), bought two pairs of jumper cables (different gauges) for the F and Bb and used a 135 for the Eb. That's right, mine went lower!

Tried it on one club gig, soundman couldn't hear me but there was a proliferation of frogs outside the club afterwards.* After I almost lost my ring finger in a bizarre tapping accident, I went back to playing my T-40.

* I always wondered what made them fall from the sky, now I know.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That was you?! My ears rang for a week! :D

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :D

I've heard of people making these before (Carl Thompson? Sorry, Brad too), but they all said they weren't going to work. The thing is, supposedly a bass with these strings is going to be an in production (well, handmade production) bass. That's unusual.

Tufnuts...that C# string is an octave lower than the C# on the 2nd fret of the B string.

From what I gather, the F# on that is .150+, and the C# is even thicker.

17. er, who is jauqo? i've never heard of this person before.

and i thought tuning down to A was stupid... :rolleyes:

18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i tuned my bass like that for a long time...

C# F# B E
    (till my guitarist died... now im at standard again)

i have a 35´scale so that helps... i bet those heavy strings get a better playability on that detuned bass...

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Jaquo is a very talented player who's been associated with Warrior basses for a while. His lust for attention and endorsements equals his ability.

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This bass is tuned an octave LOWER than your bass with that tuning.

By the way...that's really sad! :(