Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whoa! Slow down, life!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 21, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, this past week I've had the next three years of my life decided by a computer and I've put in an offer to buy a brand new house.

My wife is graduating from medical school and she had to rank her top choices of residency programs. Those programs interview the interested candidates and rank their top choices from the med students. Then a computer tries to match according to preference. My wife and I liked Waco and they liked her so that's where the computer put us. We'll be moving there in May or June. Ty McNeely, here I come!

So we found that out on Thursday and that day we called a realtor who had been referred to us and set up an appointment to look at houses on Friday. He took us around to about 7 houses. He started with dumps and they gradually got better. The last two he showed us were brand new houses that were in the process of being built right at the edge of Waco. The builder was asking a fantastic price for each house and after we left the realtor we went back out and looked at them and decided to make an offer on one. Woohoo! The houses are sorta cookie cutters but for the price it's hard to beat a brand new house with a year warranty in a really nice, family neighborhood that feels like it's in the country but is actually only 10 minutes from downtown Waco. Plus we'll probably only live in it for 3 years and we'll probably be able to sell it for more than we paid for it by that time. We're pretty excited but I can't wait to hear back to see if they accepted our offer. I've been sleeping pretty restlessly because I'm kind of anxious about it.

On top of all that I have to start looking for a new job soon. My favorite.

So anyway...exciting times in the Cook household. We can't wait to get outta Temple, TX. We're only 30 minutes from Waco but with everything they have in Waco compared to Temple it might as well be a thousand miles.

Just thought I'd share. I've attached a picture of the house as it currently looks, it will have a front and backyard sprinkler system and he's going to plant grass too.

brad cook

ps - If any of you are from Waco and have heard of a builder called Summit Homes please let me know any info you may have about them.

2. That house has a nice garden

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool Brad good luck. Looks like a big garage too.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hahaha...look at those lazy hangers sitting! I used to be a taper, so I find that funny!

If you decide to buy this house.................Keep an eye on the taping after they hang the sheetrock. Tell the builder you want the back's of the closets finished out all the way and painted properly. That is just one of the typical spots tapers cut corners. If it is cold and damp during the taping process, make sure they have heat running before they start taping, during, and all the way through finish paint. When you are ready for the final walk through with the builder, let me know. I'll give you some things to look for. I did it for 15 years, I know all about the corners that got cut.

-Mike

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

*Casually reads thread*

*Reads above quote*

*Does double-take*

*Does triple-take*

SWEET!!!!!

A fellow TB'er, RIGHT in my back door?

AWESOME!!! :D

Brad, if I end up getting that Roscoe, we've GOT to get together!!! :D

Actually, even if I *DONT* get the Roscoe, we STILL have to get together!!

Congrats on the house, and tell your wife I said congrats on graduation from med. school! I'll have to talk with her and see what I have to look forward to :)

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Congrats DigMe! :D

I wish you all the best!

B.t.w. I just took a look at your profile and I noticed that I am only 10 days older then you! ;)

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Bassman Spike,

Hey thanks, man! It's nice to start out with a good construction waste garden.

MJ5150,

Cool, man. If we get the house I'll have to let you know when it's getting close to finished.

Ty,

Sounds great! Maybe we'll have you over for tea and crumpets sometime.

Bliss and Ivor,

Thanks!

I'm really kind of jumping the gun here since we don't even have the house yet. I had another restless night and I even dreamed that a bunch of other people started bidding on it and the bidding had gotten way higher than the asking price. :rolleyes: It's strange because I rarely get anxious about things like this and I never have sleepless nights about stuff really...I'm quite a laid-back guy. I've just never bought a house.

brad cook

8. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Do the guys loafing the the garage come with the house? :p

Seriously though, thats awesome.. congrats.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    WE GOT THE HOUSE!!!

Woohoo!! Found out today. As long as we don't find out anything negative about the builder or the house that makes us decide to eject from the deal then it's all set. I'm very excited.

:hyper:

:D

brad cook

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Wouldn't have it any other way man...what's a garage without some random guys loafing around in it?!

Those guys were all laughing at us because we kept walking back and forth between this house and the one next door trying to decide which one we wanted.

brad cook

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Well, I WAS going to offer to help you move, but it seems someone forgot that I'm not too far from Waco myself
    :spit: . Just kidding man. Congrats, and lemme know when I can come visit. I'll be good, honest ;)

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Nah I didn't forget man! Ty was just the only one I could think of that actually lives in Waco.

brad cook

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Brad,

I'll definitely help you move in any way that I can. Just let me know when the day gets near and I'll see what I can do!

Ty

14. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Congrats!!!

15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yes, but I have SUV and truck, just gimmie a reason to travel ;). I knew you hadn't forgot me man, I was just pickin.

I know you aern't movin for a while, but PM me about a posible Waco-area meeting. :)

16. do i smell garage band?

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yeah! One of the guys loafing in the garage can be the drummer. :bag:

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Or maybe one of them can use those PVC pipes as a didgeridoo.

brad cook

19. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Congrats............

I've been to Temple..........
    I've been to Waco............
    I agree that Waco has a lot more to offer than Temple......

Take I-35 1 1/2 hours North........ It'll look like OZ!!!!!

Just funnin',
    Fo'

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Or south too...I've spent plenty of time either way.

brad cook