1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whoa, violence in my band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Vorago, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, my guitarplayer attacked my drummer this saturday. They're brothers, but still, I don't think this is good for our band. They're 19 and 21 and it's hard to imagine this incident not having an effect on the atmosphere.

The problem with these guys is that they're opposites.

Our drummer is:
    very ambitious
    verbally extremely skilled
    a good student
    neat, punctual, organised
    does 8 things at the same time

our guitarplayer is
    a bit of a slacker
    very easy going
    doesn't give a **** about the way he dresses
    does very little

I've seen them get into conflicts several times, and sometimes things did get heavy, but there was never any physical violence.

I'm wondering how this will develope...

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Probably not well...

3. Kick out the guitar player, and if the drummer has all those qualities you say he does, keep him shackled in your basement with his drum kit, because you've basically won the drummer lottery.

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I think the operative phrase here is, "they're brothers." I was in a band with my brother once, and unless you're completely on the same page on everything, there's no way to avoid conflict. It's just how it goes.

5. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    They're siblings who are nearly the same age and are barely adults. Heck, I'd be more suprised if they didn't fight with each other. ;)

Best of luck!

6. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
  7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    And hope at the same time that you don't suck as much as Oasis! :D

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    They're brothers. Don't sweat it. I've worked on and off with a couple of brothers that have been fighting since they discovered how to make a fist.

They didn't stop hitting each other till both of them where in their forties and it took too long to heal.

9. bburk

bburk

Jul 24, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I stopped reading when I saw this...
    Sir, you have clearly fabricated this entire story. Talkbass is not your own personal sandbox for testing out short plots for fantasy novels. When making up fantasy characters, It is best to provide them with traits are at at least somewhat believable. Sure you can fudge a bit more in a fantasy setting, but please... 'opposite world' has been done to death. :D

10. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    If they still played the music after the fight leave the family issues alone.

imho

tk

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Family dynamics in a band? Argh.

12. actually, I too have met a drummer who didn't suck at life, he is funny, smart, can keep tempo beter than me, can play several different rythms at the same time!

13. Well, I guess you need to tell them that band time is not to be wasted on arguments. If they want to fight, do it on their own time, not yours.

They wouldn't get away with it if they worked together in other places, so why should the band be any different?

14. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    No kidding.. where's the bass player fanfic section? :)

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like this.

16. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    You took the words right out of my mouth...

Cherie :ninja: :D

17. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Funny. I had to break up a fight between my bandmates, who are brothers as well. This happened before a gig, no less! The club security came to the stage as I stepped between them (arguing about where a floor monitor should go :rolleyes: ).

Fun stuff.

18. scottyg11

scottyg11

Mar 12, 2006
    Seattle

19. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    +infinite. if you ever find another drummer like that, please, tell us so we can all move to your city. but i agree with most of the posts; they're brothers- have you ever seen social siblings not fight over something?

20. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Really sounds like the brothers are the only ones to care enough to fight over a band. imho :)

tk