Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whoa!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    So I went down to the music place today to check out amps. Of course I had to play the basses, too. I played a few Fenders, a Cirrus, and then I picked up an Ibanez Soundgear SR405. The Soundgear was the cheapest of them all, but it also was my favorite. Tight string spacing (which I like) compared to other 5 strings, and the fretwork was great. It had active electronics. I looked on the back of the headstock and it said "Made in Indonesia". I was kind of surprised. I've never played an Indonesian/Chinese/Vietnamese bass that was that good. I expected it to be Korean at least. But it was better than most Korean basses I've played.

I want it now, but I have to buy an amp. :crying:

2. Ibanez ftw.

3. I own the Ibanez SR406, and I absolutely love it to death! I first got a taste of the Ibanez stable by playing an SR506, and I loved every bit of it, except for the woods. I thought the dark heavy woods should be paired with brighter pickups, and vise versa. So I found an SR406 on the bay for $350 shipped, and snatched her up! I plan to add a Bartolini pickup and preamp setup in the future. The all maple Ibby paired with the dark and low Barts should kill... However, I guess I should upgrade my amp first! Yorkville, here I finally come!

4. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I have a Washburn T24 that was made in Vietnam. For the price ($300) its a really good buy. I don't use much as I am totally attached to my Rickenbacker.

The Washburn is a fine backup. It would be a good first bass too.

5. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    I recently came across a 1986 RB850 in a local pawn shop that must have been somebody's short lived shot at learning bass ( then in the closet ) as it was in excellent shape . It plays and sounds as good as my G&L L-2000 !! :smug:

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Back in the day all I played were Soundgears, and for "cheap" electronics, those DX pickups are nice. Frankly, I'd still have mine, but I sold the preamp to a friend, and the pickups, and frankly, I like the Dimarzio's too, but kind of miss the active DX's. My 400 was the best Ibby I ever played and still have that one. The pair of 800's and the 645 were great instruments too.

7. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I have a 405 and love it. Its my main bass. Slim, tight and sexy. And you can abuse it too, it likes to be slapped. Mine actually has some nicely flamed Maple too. Very nice bass. A++.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Not a fan of the music place :p.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    My first "good" bass, was a Soundgear SR400 and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I eventually sold it because I didn't like the electronics. I wound up getting a Tobias Growler which had a horrible neck, and that started my buying bass after bass after bass etc.. until I found one I was happy with. If I had just swapped the electronics I'd probably still have the SR now for all I know :)