Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who'd like to help?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fatboy_Jim, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Fatboy_Jim

Fatboy_Jim

Oct 25, 2000
    Hey i'm currently in the process of adjusting my bridge with my mini allen wrench and i'm wondering if anyone can give me a few pointers on how to set the parts up so that there's no more buzzing.
    Help would be much appreciated
    Thanks a lot
    Peace
    Dermot

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, you sound like you're on the right track. Are you raising the saddles and the bass is still buzzing? The solution may be the neck relief and you need to adjust your truss rod. If in doubt, just click on the "Search" icon on the top of TalkBass pages and search for "truss rod" or "neck relief" or "buzz." There have been a lot of posts on that.

Are you only getting buzz above a high fret, say, the 12th?
    Raising the saddles with your wrench may do it. If the bass is a Fender Precision, this is a "trait of the breed." Many of them have a dead, buzzing fret.

Is the buzzing only on a particular string or on all strings at a certain fret or frets? Could be a bad fret job.
    That, unfortunately means a visit to a tech for most of us.

It's hard to say because the info you gave is pretty slim.

3. Fatboy_Jim

Fatboy_Jim

Oct 25, 2000
    Sorry about my lack of info but no it is definitely not a fret problem the buzz is actually coming for the saddle. You see the only reason I went near the thing is cause someone else adjusted it and the strings were way to high so i want to lower them. So the buzz is def only coming form the bridge it's not a fret problem. You see the way i'm adjusting i just want tips on how to stop buzzing coming from the actual bridge while i'm trying to adjust it.
    Thanks for posting
    Any more suggestions from you or anyone else?
    Thanks again
    Dermot

4. Could be the springs that keep the intonation screws from backing out. Mine rattle sometimes. Push them to one side or put some duct-tape on them. :D

Chris