Who'd want a Bobby Vega signature bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mastermold, Jan 28, 2017.

1. This idea came up on TB a little while back, with Fender being big on signature basses these days, whether they should do a Bobby Vega signature of his famous shark bass. I happened to run into Bobby at NAMM this year with his shark bass in hand, and asked him about it, told him I thought it was a cool idea given how distinct his bass is. Based on what he told me if Fender was interested I think he would do it. So I'm curious about TB interest. They could do a budget (i.e. Flea) or upscale CS version. Either would sell IMO.

[​IMG]

Tbone76, ICM, BrentSimons and 17 others like this.
  2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I thought although I could be mistaken that he did an Alleva Coppolla signiture a few years back.

pudgychef and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That would be cool but the Flea is already a relic'd stack knob. I doubt they'd do another one.

4. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    That would be cool for sure...

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i'd buy one

Crusher47 likes this.
  6. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    A more appropriate question might be, who wouldn't?

7. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I'm not sure that matters much. If anything, it's easier for them now as the Mexico plant is up to production speed on the whole thing in terms of parts, wiring, assembly steps and the heavy relic finish. The Shell Pink was never going to get as many buyers as a 3TSB would, and Bobby Vega is certainly noteworthy enough to do this for, say next year after the Flea has had an extended run of its own.

8. I'm kinda in agreement with Gorn on this. If anything, we're probably more likely to see a CS version.

ExaltBass and superdick2112 like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    No. It's a cool Fender Jazz. Rather than someone else's, I'd rather make my bass mine.

10. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    The one he had at NAMM there was cool but I prefer that other bass he has, think it's a sunburst P body with a blocked & bound J neck.

11. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    What does the bass have to do with a fish?
    More to point, unless it can be scientifically proven that a BV signature would improve my playing, it's just another reliced slab.

12. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    For those who don't know, Bobby's Shark Bass takes its name from a ritual he performed on the instrument back in the 70s. He detached all the bass' parts and dipped them in shark blood for a whole night under the full moon light. The origin of this ritual is ancestral and unknown, but rumors say Leo Fender himself adviced Bobby to perform it, as Mr Vega was worried his pick-playing skills were not good enough to play solid funk grooves. After the misterious display, he put the bass together, got a pick... and the miracle happened.

13. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Sounds pretty metal.

What's the best shark blood for metal?

14. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Hammerhead shark obviously.

15. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Interesting story.
    Oddly, BV has a bit of a different take on it,
    From BP interview, June 2014...
    I was trying to get that Jimi Hendrix thang going on, so I’d play gigs with a concho belt I used to wear. I was really digging in and sweating, and poopie, it took the finish right off the back of my bass. I knew I was f’ing it up, but I didn’t care (I was a dummy). So I asked my friend Billy Stapleton what I could use to protect the back of my bass. Billy said he had just the thing, went out of the room for a minute, and came back in with a shark decal like the ones you’d see back in the day on camper shells, trailers, and R.V.’s. He looked at it, sized it up, and put it right on the back of my bass. Tadah! The Shark Bass was born. Man, it looked cool! My friend Martin Fierro, a sax player, was the first one to call it the Shark Bass. Martin passed away in 2008, but I can still hear him say, “Hey, how’s the Shark? Chut up!”

But kudos for creativity. :thumbsup:

Tbone76, iwearpumas, Nunovsky and 4 others like this.
  16. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    +1, and with that level of wear, it would take a whole lot of relic'ing and some big $$$ to get the look right.. :greedy:

pacojas likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He did, somewhere posted it in the last thread on this subject.

18. Would be nice, but I think a "Herbie Flowers" Jazz Bass would be fitting as well (1959 (yes: prototype with onboard passive fuzz) in blue)...

19. I'll say!

Here ya go:

63467c72e28b86ea91bdd9065a95cf2b.jpg

Tbone76, Teijo K., Mastermold and 2 others like this.
  20. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    He has a Ribbeck signature bass 9 (1).jpg

pudgychef and SF_Bassist like this.