Whoo Hoo! It's finally here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Jan 23, 2003.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, my office floor is covered in packing peanuts, so the cleaning guys are going to be mad at me, but I don't care!

This just showed up, and it is a lot more beautiful in person:

It's an Athlete AX-6 with arched spruce top, flamed maple back and sides, and three piece maple neck with bound ebony fretboard. Currently equipped with Fishman electronics(might be replaced soon with LR Baggs). It's much more beautiful than this picture shows. I've never been a big fan of flamed maple tops on basses, but it's almost a crime that the back of this thing won't be seen by many people.

It's strung with Labella Acoustic strings, but will be getting a set of TI Acousticores installed in the next couple of weeks--I'm a TI fanatic. :D

I haven't had much chance to play it here, but I am in love with the tone so far. I can't wait to hear how it sounds through my Mesa Walkabout and an EA 1x8" to give it a little bump to play with others.

I'll post better pics when I get home. These pics are from the guy I bought it from.

It also came with a super nice heavy duty gig bag--Bonus!
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Just when I thought that my hatred for you couldn't get any deeper! Congrats man!
    BTW, I've never heard of this brand. Are they new?
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, cool jason. how's the low b sound?
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Very nice! How much $ did you have to drop on that beast? I think that's the first acoustic 6 string I have seen, and I have seen a lot of weird stuff.
  5. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Wow!!! Nice bass, man...
    I remember when Mars first opened up here. They had this purple Curbow 5 string fretless acoustic. Made me want a nice ABG ever since..Where'd you score it? That wood, well, gave me wood..:p

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Dayumm! You just never stop!!! That looks great!....nice big body and lovely woods.

How much gain can you give that amp in your office before the boss gets pissed??? ;)
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That is tooo beautiful...

I think that the only other cat that I've see with a 6 string ABG... is this cat from New Orleans Roland Guerin. There is a guy from NOLA that built it... I think his name was Sardins... or something like that.

anyways... have fun with it.
  8. OMG....I have had a craving for a 5-string acoustic, and now I see that 6....

9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey sweet ABG jason...looks nice
  10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh. Thanks, guys.

Let's see...

Woodchuck-This bass is actually about 8 years old, believe it, or not. It was built by Fumi Kazawa. He also built Moon basses. The workmanship is fantastic. I've been staring at it all night (of course, my DSL being down right makes it easier--I'm connected at 26.4 right now!:eek: )

JT-The low B sounds okay, but it's one of them nasty tapered low Bs, and I'm not too keen with how it's sitting on the bridge. I think when I get the TIs on there, it'll balance better with the rest of the strings. As nice as the bass is, the laws of physics still apply, so the low B really needs to be amplified to be used with other instruments playing, I think.

5stringdna- I actually traded my Aguilar DB750 plus a little cash for it. It was for sale on bassgear a couple of times with no bites, apparently, so I took advantage of the soft market, and made him an offer. Never hurts to ask. :)

Soybase- Yeah, I kow which one you are talking about. Greg actually let me borrow it to bring it to the first Atlanta Get Together that I went to. It's a great bass.

rickbass- Heh. I had to give a little impromptu show when it showed up. The body is pretty big--especially compared to my Curbows.

Brendan-- Takes one to know one, Skipper. :p

j-rai- I picked up a Roland Guerin cd at a yard sale at a hair salon for $2, if you can believe that. I turned it over, and saw his 6 string ABG, and simply said, "Whoa." The cd is pretty good, and the guy has some chops, but is very tasteful. He's actually one of the main reasons I got GAS for an ABG. I never thought I'd find one, let alone used. I'll let you play it if I can play your Wishnevsky. :D

Chris--GAS is a dangerous thing, I agree. I've found the safest thig to do is to let it out. Otherwise, you explode.

neptoon- Thanks, Man. I still hate you for having a 6 string Rockwood Curbow, though. ;)

The cold weather on the trip down did a little number on the fret ends, so I'll need to have my guitar player file 'em down for me, but that is to be expected. Other than that, it sounds great, and plays great despite the 20mm string spacing at the bridge. A little wider than I'm used to, but not as bad as I thought it might be. It should be nice and set up before the next Get Together...
  11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it's ok, man...you can hate me. i've been seriously thinking about unloading the curbow rockwood. as much as i love it and as great as it sounds, that 20mm bridge spacing still kills me after playing for any extended amount of time. i just can't get used to it. that gives me a perfect excuse to get another curbow 6, though...maybe an all rockwood carved top with 18mm string spacing...hee hee that's still a really sweet ABG. i played that fretless 6 string veillette acoustic electric at bass nw about a month ago. great stuff...
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sweet bass, bmk... how did I miss that?;)
  13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Sweet, bassmonkey!

BTW - Those aren't your Glocks, are they?:)
  14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Whoa! That thing looks great, BM! I seem to have a thing for maple acoustics, though, seeing as how two of my acoustic g*****s are maple. One flamed, one bird's-eye. Any certain reason for preferring the LR Baggs over the Fishman? Man, that's really making some GAS flare up here! :(
  15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

You live in Atlanta?... Sh!t man... let me check out those Curbows and the ABG... I'll let you play the crappy 'Wish-I-Didn't-Buy-This-Bass' and my new Warrior 5(sweet)... OK?

Roland Guerin is a bass boy on that ABG 6... I got to see him a while back with Marsalis (at the BPC, Berklee Performance Center), when Kenny Kirkland was still alive... when I lived in Boston.

What groups are you gigging with in ATL?

email: jairaj@mindspring.com

ps, 'Atlanta bass get together'.... why wasn't I invited?
  16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Brad--I figured you'd just passed it up. Or, had owned it in the past. :D

Jerry J-- I wish those were my Glocks. The high end cabs in the pics is what made me think to ask if he'd be interested in the Aguilar. I guess my hunch paid off, no?

SoCom-- The only reason I thought I'd change out the Fishman for the Baggs is that the previous owner said that was what he planned on doing before he decided to sell it. I like the way the Fishman sounds for right now, but we'll see how I feel about it in a couple of months once I've gotten it set up, and broken in, etc.

j-rai-- Yep, I'm in Atlanta. Says so right over there <---- so it must be true. I'm playing with a couple of different groups right now. One is a Jazz/Blues group that plays every other Thursday in Decatur at Birdi's on the Square. We'll be playing next Thursday, in fact. The other one is a Jazz group that will be playing mostly original music, and we plan to start booking gigs in the next month, or so. This bass will probably get some gig time with the new group, I think.

As for the Get-Together, of course you're invited. Here's the thread where the planning has begun: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=72750

You HAVE to bring the wish bass, or you won't be allowed in the room, though. ;)

I'd love to have seen Marsalis with Kenny Kirkland...what a waste.

The 20mm spacing on this bass is easier to deal with so far than I thought it would be. I think the added depth of the body forces me to use good technique. I guess that's how the classical guitar players deal with such a wide neck. I can certainly understand why Neptoon is considering getting rid of the Curbow with the wide spacing--I'm hoping the spacing on this beast doesn't become an issue.

Somehow, I think I'll manage, though. :D
  17. That is one sweeeeeet bass! I've wanted a 6-string acoustic for a while. I've never even seen one until now. That's nicer than any other acoustic I've ever seen. Congratulations!!!

- Dave
  18. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    This one looks exactly like the acoustic bass I've been searching for years. 6 string, 20mm spacing, flame maple....where can I find it? I would like to buy it new or used anyway.
  19. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks, Dave--I hadn't seen many, either. I know there is someone else with an acoustic 6 string at Talkbass who got his from England, but I can't remember who.

Dr. SixString-- I don't think Athlete is still around, but there are people who will make you an acoustic 6 string bass. Karl Hoyt makes 'em, and a couple other companies, too. I was lucky enough to stumble upon this one at bassgear.com.

Here are a couple of random pics I took this evening (otherwise known as the ones that actually came out...).

Another pic of the front: