Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whoo Hoo! New basses are fun!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Jan 30, 2005.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This is the 4th PBass I've owned, but it's the first with frets, believe it, or not. :D It was a toss up between this one and a CS '64 Jazz Relic in LPB with matching headstock--not an easy decision, but I think I made the right choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a Custom Shop '59 Relic, and I love it. I know some people think the relic-ing is dumb, but I think it's pretty cool.

The bass plays great, and sounds even better after getting some Chromes on there. Through my Walkabout/Aguilar rig, it sounds very much like a PBass with flats. IOW, exactly what I was looking for.

A very light bass that feels great on the shoulder with the tone to die for. I still love my Bongos, but there is nothing more beautiful than a beat up PBass, IMHO. :bassist:

2. Nice score man. If for nothing else DEFFINITLY a collector!! Congrats!

3. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    and how right you are. very nice bass. those custom shop boys work wonders. i played the Jaco relic and it has got to be the greatest fretless i have ever played!

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    What's that? Your P bass with flats sounds like a P bass with flats?

(those are flats on there, right??)

5. This bass is killer! I was there for the purchase, and I definitely think Jason made the right call. I played both the P and the J, and while the J had a great vibe with the matching headstock, the P played and sounded better. We went over to JT's house later to check out the Ritter, and got to hear the P (with roundwounds) through JT's big rig. To say it sounded huge would be an understatement. Great, great bass.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    My first glimpse at that bass started "I feel good (ta-ra ta-ra ta-ra-ram)/ I knew that I would" going in my head. There's a clip of it with the bassist (I'm not sure who it was) plays a P that looks exactl like that one. Same colour, same colour pg. :bassist:
    Nice! Glad you like it! :cool:

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    WHAT? JT xnatched that Ritter and didn't tell us about it, nor even a brief review with pics? Look's like he's getting lazy... or wanted to keep this a secret from Bill Conklin? :ninja: ;)

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep. D'Addario Chromes.

And, that's exactly what I meant to say. :D

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

You should play it with the Chromes. :hyper: I lowered the action a bit, and I'm still debating whether, or not, it needs the neck straightened out any. I'll give the flats another day, or two, to settle.

The fretboard got a nice treatment of Love Potion #15 and I cleaned the back of the neck, but the rest of the shop-induced mojo remains. :D

I agree with Dave--the PBass through an Aguilar 680DB, and 1600W into a 4x12 and subwoofer sounded pretty good... :bag:

A-W: I agree--the Jaco Relics are nice instruments. Every one I've played has been killer.

95% of the CS instruments that I've seen have been great players. That's why I went with this one over some of the older Fenders they had. It was lighter than any 70s PBass I've played, and it played better than most of the 60s PBass I've played.

11. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wow! really sweet looking Pbass. I'd love to have something similar but with a maple board. I agree also. I really like some of the relic basses. I'm not a fan of the looks of the jaco fretless though. Jazzes look a little funny to me without the pickguards and that models looks like someone attacked it with a beltsander :eek: . It also occurs to me that I've never seen a CS relic model with any other paintjob but a sunburst, do they even offer them? :confused:

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    When I picked this one out, I had my choice of black with gold guard, transparent white with gold guard, and the 'burst with gold guard.

In CS Relic '64 Jazz Basses, they had LPB with matching headstock, CAR with matching headstock, and sunburst. The LPB was giving me serious GAS pains, too, but I started this oddysey a couple of yeas ago with a '75 Reissue Jazz and I was pretty certain that I'm more of a PBass guy.

Of course, now that I've got this, there's a good shot that I'll have a CS Jazz at some point in the future. :ninja:

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    that is much nicer than bongos'

sell ur bongos and buy another custom shop relic

14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Um.....no.

15. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Nice score Jason! If it plays as nice as my closet classic version of the same bass, that should satisfy your P bass cravings. How beat up is the back side of the body from the relicing? Also, just out of curiousity, where'd you get it?

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Congrats Jason.... Nice P.

Where did you pick it up?

17. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Great looking bass. I'm a big fan of the CS basses -- have 2 myself, one a relic (the Jaco), the other a "Closet Classic" ('64 Jazz). Both fantastic instruments. But now this relic P is a real temptation!

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, Gary! I have wanted one of these since I played yours. And, it's definitely got player mojo. Doesn't hurt that it weighs about 7 lbs, either.

The back isn't any more beat up than the front, really. A couple of nicks, and that's about it. I would have been happy if it had been a bit more beat up, but I can take care of that.

And, to answer both Gary and JRaj, I picked this up at the Atlanta Guitar Center via trade. :bassist:

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've never thought relic-ing was dumb, but for a long time I was sure I'd never want a relic'd bass. Then my brother got his CS relic Nocaster. The overall look is pretty cool I must say, but what *really* rocks is the broken-in neck! That's what I loved best about the '64 P-bass I used to own.

Anyway, I love your new bass. I hope it plays and sounds as sweet as it looks!