Whoo hooo! Great bass epiphany

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iplaybass, May 8, 2003.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Ah, I just had a great bass related moment. I'm playing my new FNA Jazzman, and I put all the EQ on my amp flat, put the humbucker into parallel, dig in, and it just growls at me. It barks. And the higher registers just sing when I play lighter. God, this is the first bass I've ever had where it sounded just great FLAT. Totally flat. It amazes me, completely. And if I pop the humbucker into series and pop out the slap EQ (quite a misnomer if you ask me) I can get a darker, smoother sound. Single coil the humbucker, and its a nice jazz vibe. I promise I'll get pics of this bad machine up for you guys soon... man, what a bass, I love it! :D
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Nope... according to my Warwick book I've got it right, unless I'm reading the diagram incorrectly. Parallel gives a lot more bite, I assumed because in parallel the jazz and humbucker pickups would get the same amount of voltage, giving the stronger humbucker more presence.
  3. You have found the secret of the flat EQ,
    and in doing so have been rewarded with
    the famous Warwick growl.

Without the dreaded "boost" you will discover
    more headroom and vast amounts of volume
    and know 'The Sound of Wood.'

Post a pic. soon.
  4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I have seen the top of the mountain. And it is good.

Didn't bring a camera though. Gotta borrow one from one a friend or something... :D
  5. Slightly off the subject - in terms of the bass. . .

I kept screwing around with the volume controls for my Fender AmerJazz and also with the EQ on my amp - finally found that playing both p'ups full with tone set midway and barely boosting my bass and treble on the amp and barely cutting the mid made all the difference in the world to my tone. I think when there are too many knobs and buttons, we tend to do too much with them.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Can I get an Amen?

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I played one of the first FNA Jazzman basses a few years back when I was having the trussrod replaced in my elderly Warwick - fantastic tone, one of the best I've heard.

I'm a great believer in keeping EQ as flat as possible - if I want more low end I just turn the volume up.

8. just searching through the archives looking for some info on line voltage and stumbled into this thread... good stuff... I have a Warwick Thumb 5 Neck Through and after spending about a year over-EQing everything I tried everything flat one day and bam, i've never touched it since :) maybe a minor midrange or bass adjustment on my bass itself depending on the song and the room but otherwise my SM-900 is set completely flat and it sounds just wonderful

9. My best sound comes from dead flat on my Eden WT400, and dead flat with both pups on full on my Jazz bass. FLAT RULES!