Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whoohoo got my first bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndrewT, Jul 9, 2001.

1. AndrewT

AndrewT

Jun 16, 2001
    Sugar Land, TX
    Its a Fender MIM Jazz bass. FRETLESS. I'm so glad I picked up the fretless Jazz, I love it so much more than the fretted one. So far I'm having a lot of fun, I've learned some Weezer songs, and one Rancid song that basically influenced my whole wanting to play the bass. Journey to the End of East Bay. I love that song-- its hard as hell, but I'm getting there. So you fretless players have another one on board!

2. Way to go! I just bought my third bass on saturday, new basses are fun.

3. Welcome to Bass!

Hmmm Rancid.. I would disapprove whole heartedly, except for one thing.. they did Maxwell Murder, which is a solo of the gods, and so I will approve of them.. Yes.. excellent :)

Not that that matters at all to anyone but me, play what you love! :) then play some of what you hate :( and then ignore all that crap and go back to the good stuff :)

Uhh, oh yeah, what I really wanted to talk about. Congrats on getting your first bass! I played a MIM Fender fretless down at Portland Music (Oregon) and it was so nice.. I thought I would completely suck without frets, but the lines helped me tremendously, and I was eventually (I was there a while! hehe :) ) playing without even looking at the neck, and I can barely do that on my Fretted Matao Jazz Bass.. lol It was awesome!

Congrats again!

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Talkbass, and welcome to the world of basses.

You're jumping into things very well, and strongly by starting fretless...

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Welcome to the fraternity. You are now officially a bottom dweller. Congrats!

6. great stuff.. welcome to the world of bass playing and welcome to talkbass.

7. If you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations, AndrewT, and welcome to Talkbass.:)

You could have done a lot worse for your first bass. Those MIM Fender fretlesses are pretty nice.

What color is it? Got any pictures?

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Welcome to TB, Andrew. Enjoy the new bass!!! :)

10. I just decided to start learning the bass. I've been playing for about 3-4 weeks, and it is coming along good. My dad, who is awesome on the bass, said that I'm doing awesome. I have a Yamaha left-handed 4-string. This bass thing is freakin awesome

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Talkbass to you too, and welcome to the world of basses and bassists.

I remember when I first started, I started to like certain bands I wouldn't have liked before, and I started to dislike bands I would've liked before.

I don't know what I'd do with out my bass anymore... I've literally waken up in the middle of the night with an idea for a bass line...

hehe... I won't ramble any more... But congratulations to you too...

12. AndrewT

AndrewT

Jun 16, 2001
    Sugar Land, TX
    Hey all thanks for the kind words- I bought the bass at Mars Music for $349. Evan's Music City (in houston) had it for $325, but it was white. I really don't like white basses (sorry, just an opinion!), and I really liked the black one. So, mine's black...I had to go to three stores to find it. Guitar Center only had a midnight blue one, Evan's Music only had the white one, the first Mars Music didn't even have a fretless one, and the second Mars Music had the perfect one. I love playing fretless, I can't imagine playing one with frets!

13. You from Po'tland? Finally, another Northwesterner.

Oh, and congrats on the bass. My first was a piece of junk, and I'm glad I got rid of it. You shoud be able to keep yours for a while.

Rock on
    Eric

14. StereoBassist

StereoBassist Guest

Jul 10, 2001
    Sparta, New Jersey
    Yeah, Journey to the end is slightly hard, i played it for a show once. All u gotta do is just practice it with the cd. It becomes really simple...anyway

I dont think im good enough for a fretless. Whats the point in getting one anyway? Sure, it can improve your playing, maybe, but it'll be harder to try to learn songs from tabs, would it not? I have to agree with HWK2 tho, the frets can tend to confuse u, as if u dont know them well enough, u have to constantly keep looking at the fretboard. Fretless has it's up's and down's, but a bass is a bass.

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't see how frets can confuse you. I use mine like a map. Just know where the positioning of the dots are on the fingerboard, like say about 7-8 inches down the neck'll be your so and so fret.

I think it's easier for me to find my way around the fingerboard on a fretted then a fretless.

16. AndrewT

AndrewT

Jun 16, 2001
    Sugar Land, TX
    Well, first off, the J-bass fretless comes with fretlines. So, that helps a bunch. Second, I come from about 8 years of playing violin. And not to brag or anything, but I am damn good, so when I picked up a fretless it just felt right. I kinda felt that frets got in the way.

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Congrats on wanting to learn bass my friend.. it is a very tasty beast is it not. I just got my 3 bass yesterday (july 10)(ernieball musicman Stingray5) and i love it. keep it up with the progress

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I understand. I played trumpet before I played bass, I actually sold my trumpet for my bass, so... I don't think that really has any relation to playing bass, though... But I can see the violin to bass thing. I've played fretlesses with marked frets, even was considering buying one, but they're not as punchy as fretted basses IMO.

Just to make sure you're not really bragging, you mean good at getting your finger on the fret, right?

;)

Saying you're just flat out good would just be bragging... :)

19. AndrewT

AndrewT

Jun 16, 2001
    Sugar Land, TX
    Haha, I think I'll take that as a joke. :D

20. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Whoa! Me too, my 3rd bass and on the same day. The stingray kicks ass