Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHOOOO!!! VICTOR WOOTEN!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iplaybass, May 5, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Saw Ike Turner, moe., Incubus, and Bela Fleck and the Flecktones yesterday, and it was fantastic! The Flecktones were hands down the best, though. I was at the very front, close enough to touch the stage, and I'm glad I was. Victor was awesome, easily the best bass work I have ever seen. It was really an eye opener, because his speed is truly beyond belief, but he knows how to lay a groove down. One thing I never noticed before... Vic is short! When the band took their bows, it was obvious.:D The thing that I noticed the most was Victor's ability to be fast while still paying the utmost atention to the dynamics of his playing, which impressed me greatly. So, in conclusion...
    WHOOOO!!! Victor RULES!!!!!!:D

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah he's a bad, bad man. seen them three times now, hoping to see them again.

where were you to see all those different bands in one day?!

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Hard to believe, but Memphis, TN. We have a little fiesta called the Beale Street Music Festival, its really great, the list gets better every year. Three days of great bands for like $45... This year there was the Doobie Brothers, Stone Temple Pilots, Ike Turner, Hoobastank, Incubus, Hootie and the Blowfish, Bela Fleck, Acoustic Syndicate, moe, The Isley Brothers, The Bar-Kays, OAR, Kid Rock, Saliva, Puddle of Mudd, Ingram Hill, Pete Yorn, John Mayer... the list goes on. Lots of fun though, to bad its only once a year.

4. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    hey thats awsome. id love to see wooten play and sumtime when they come around my area im gunna attempt to go see 'em. wow that aint a bad little set list. im not a big fan of anyone metioned above but id enjoy seeing them.

5. matteo6dmb

matteo6dmb

Sep 27, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    vic has some insane chops. thing is, i'd like to see him be more of an artist. he's flashy and everything, and amazing with his instrument, but musicianship is a teeny bit lacking. gary peacock or someone could basically kick his arse any day... :)

6. if he were to get more musical, he would need a different tone, his tone right now is very trebly-where his fingerstyle just sounds like keys. im not sayin his tone is bad, it just doesnt accent full notes

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I thought his Yin Yang album was pretty musical. Especially the second cd with the vocals. I feel the same way as you though. When Vic grooves he can really groove. It's a shame he doesn't do it more often.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Victor wooten is SOOOOO short...I'm 6'4, when I got his autograph I was amazed...he's like 5'9 or less...its insane...my friends joke saying that all his mass is in his thumb :)

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hey, i'm 5'10" and he's way shorter than me!

i'd say 5'5" tops.

about vic's musicality, i think all his solo albums are mostly chop fests, the music itself is pretty cheesy. the stuff with the flecktones is his strong point IMO, and i'd see that band every day of the week for the rest of my life if i had the chance ;)

10. Strangely, I've found the Flecktones stuff to be mighty cheesy as well. I love Vic's playing, but I wouldn't drop more than the $10 I did to see the Flecktones again.