1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whoops forgot to leave some fingernail!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by posscakes, Feb 27, 2008.

1. posscakes

posscakes

Sep 3, 2007
    hope someone will get laugh out of this somewhere.

i've recently stopped using a plectrum to play bass opting for a fingerstyle instead. the thing that stuffs me up is when i chop my fingernails. i often forget and dock all the nails on my plucking hand so i kind loose a bit consistency in sound until the nails grow back! i have program myself to just sort trim them a bit instead. i've heard that some people use fingerpicks for bass but i think i'll just wait for my nails to grow back. might take the oppurtunity to strum an acoustic for the next few days!!!

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    You don't need no fingernail for play the bass.

3. Fingernail-free zone here.

4. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm kind of anal about keeping my fingernails out of the way, I like them as short as possible on both hands. I cut as far back as I can comfortably get the clippers, then I file a little more off.

The downside to this is that cans of soda/beer become much more difficult to open, I literally have no fingernail left to grasp anything with.

5. posscakes

posscakes

Sep 3, 2007
    yeah i don't mean dolly parton claws , but theres a mix of nail and finger tip that seems to work for me . but maybe this all changes as my technique improves?

6. ElDunco

ElDunco has an addiction.

Aug 19, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Employee Atomic Music Beltsville
    If I have my finger nails a little long on my plucking hand I'll often hit the strings with them and get a much brighter sound then I'm looking for. However it does get pretty handy when I practice with longer fingernails to instantly be able to pull out some clearer notes and play with dynamics.

7. posscakes

posscakes

Sep 3, 2007
    yeah thats it the nail gives off a brighter sound. and i tend to practise a lot unamplified too so it makes it easier to hear.

I could fully understand though plugged in and probably more so with active pups you'd probably keep it nail free depending on what sort of sound you're going for

8. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I don't like to leave my fingernails long. There's an annoying click clacking if I don't cut them.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    only time my nails come close to a string is when I strum a chord

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Jeez, what's wrong with a pick?? After a couple decades of being fingerstyle-only, I'm finally opening my toolbox. Both techniques rock.

11. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah, when my nails start clicking on the string, a little alarm goes off in my head, which means "Time to cut 'em!". I really don't like that sound.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    no doubt! I play fingerstyle mostly.. but I always carry with me a couple a Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0mm (or Fender extra heavy)

13. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Leave a couple just long enough to accomplish that task on your fretting hand......
    ;)