Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whoops. Im out of commision for a while.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Todya i went snowboarding, and the thing that i dreaded was going to happen, happened. I hit this pretty monstrous jump and basically fell 10-12 feet onto my wrist. Sprained it pretty badly.I tried picking up my bass but its hurts terribly. It is my left wrist. Any tricks to make these things heal faster?

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    stretch it out. try to use it as little as possible. i wouldn't not use it AT ALL though, but don't put any stress.

3. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Ouch. Give it a while to heal by staying off it and maybe then you can pick up the bass.

4. Once you feel it's healed (I recommend going to a doctor and getting an opinion) then slowly start doing excerises with it to build it back up, then pick up the bass.

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Looks like you're gonna have to use your other hand! :eek: ;)

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Cortisone shot....numbs all the pain!

-Mike

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Damn.

8. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Keep icing it... after a few days, give it a "contrast bath": 5 minutes in ice cold water, 2 minutes in water as hot as you can stand, repeat several times

I did that when my ankle got jacked from skateboarding a few years ago

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I say amputate it. You'll never have this problem again!

10. No offense to anyone who offers quick-healing methods, but if you do them, there could be risk of possible problems in the future. Just ice it, rest it, try using it as little as possible, then when it's healed, slowly start using it to build strength back up in it.

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Ice, Ice ,Ice.....and rest. The more you push it the longer it will take to heal.

12. Bingo. In 6th grade when I played football, I got kicked in the ankle and could barely walk for a day. Toughed it out for a couple weeks which made it worse. Had a game 2 weekends after hurting it and had to be pulled out of the game because I couldn't really put any weight at all on it. Sucked a lot.

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Trick:

DON'T DO STUPID STUFF LIKE LAUNCH YOUR SELF 12 FEET INTO THE AIR!

:p

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    stay off it. it will heal faster if you leave it alone and let it heal.

15. practice right hand technique........

with your bass;)

16. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    ahh that sucks man, i broke my wrist boarding a few years back, luckily i didn't play bass at the time, or that really woulda sucked

17. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I was not trying to give a way of quick healing, it is just a suggestion to promote healing.

I know that you shouldn't rush to use a damaged part before it heals completely. When I sprained my ankle I was out of skateboarding for about 5 months.

On another note, after I went to the doctor to comfirm that I had broken my finger (yes, skateboarding) he said that since I had splinted it soon after the incident and had been icing it, another good way to strengthen it would be to play bass. He is also a bassist.

It took about 6 weeks for it to mend itself back together (which was 3 weeks after I went to the doctor). It still hurts a little bit, but it doesn't interfere with my bass playing

Brett

PS: Now go get that hand in a bucket of ice water