Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whos A Pro?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by and_Justice, Apr 4, 2002.

1. and_Justice

and_Justice

Jan 14, 2000
    I am happy to announce that i will be going to college this fall for bass guitar music program!!!!

But this has got me wondering, who else out there has gone to school for bass, or music in general? If so, please tell the tale.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So, you have to go to school to be a pro?

3. a " pro " plays bass for a living..
    e.g. no bass = no food ;)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've met quite a few people who have completed full-time courses in music education who are struggling to make a living or are not doing it all! And a lot of pros who've never been near a music school! ;)

This subject has come up quite a few times before - do a search on Berkeley! - and the usual consensus is that if you're good when you go in, they are good places for networking, making contacts etc.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    To answer the original question, I'm not sure if I fit the criteria of "pro" or not - I got a 2 year degree in Classical Guitar, then Bachelor and Masters degrees in Theory/Composition (this, while piano was my main instrument). Currently, I'm teaching music courses at two universities in town and playing about 15 gigs a month (all on Bass). The playing makes up between 1/3 to 1/2 of my income. Many would argue that to be a "pro", you make all of your money by playing, by which definition I would be classified as a "semi-pro".

Music school is a great learning opportunity, but it's no guarantee careerwise. Most of the people I went to school with and graduated with are now working regular day gigs, which is fine for them because they usually make better money that way than most working musicians do. But all in all, I have no complaints.

6. Hey, this means I'm a pro! I've had no income other than bass for the last 6 months. Of course, that income has come to about $75 and 30 free drinks, but that's hardly the point. ;)