Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's actually using their blend knob?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Yes, I use the blend knob for subtle changes in tone.

26 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. Nope. Nuance is for ninnies.

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. I set mine for full on carrot power!

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    In all bassdom, I think the most worthless thing is the blend knob. I've never had any use to have the neck pickup on 84.3% and the bridge pickup on 15.7%. For me, it's either neck, bridge, or both full on; no pussyfooting around with in-between settings. Same thing goes for basses with dual volumes (one for each pickup). It's all the way on, or all the way off for me. I'd rather just have a 3 way switch and be done with it.

Am I mad? Apparently alot of bass players use these things, otherwise the builders wouldn't make them that way. Do you guys really use your blend knob, or just set it at the extremes?

2. depending on what sound Im looking for?

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    *raises hand*

I'm one of those jerks whose only basses with less than five knobs are the ones that don't have active preamps in them yet. I admit it...I'm a Knob Fiddler.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I use mine more or less as a three-way switch, as well. Though, on both my basses it's usually* blending between "inside", "all four" and "outside" coils -- so, since the difference between extremes is fairly subtle, the in-between settings are even less noticeable.

*dpdt switch controls whether or not the blend works this way or between neck/both/bridge pickups.

On my old Carvins, the blend acted pretty linearly, and I used it a lot - just bridge-ward of center worked well. However, on my current basses w/ Bartolini electronics, the blend knob seems to work a lot more quickly - move it a little off center, and the sound changes very quickly. So, even before I modded my fretted to do the inside/outside thing, I pretty much only used the knob in extremes.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep

6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I use mine a lot. Usually fingerstyle playing is panned a little bit toward the bridge pickup. If I'm gonna play slap, then it's even up both pickups.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I fiddle around a bit to get the sound I want. I generally stick with that for a gig. Then the only thing I usually adjust is my tone knob.

8. the electronics in my old crappy washburn took a dive. i ran the pickups full volume straight out. there are knobs there. but they aren't connected to anything. i'm really just too lazy to take them off. yeah... THAT lazy.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've ended up just putting a three way Les Paul style switch in my bass. I like to be able to change the tone instantly without interfering with my playing much. Works much better for me.

10. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Both pickups full on all the time for me. Well, unless I play some old school Jamiroquai, in which case it's a little to the bridge...

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't even bother with the bridge; it's 100% neck. The bridge pup is a glorified thumb anchor.

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use mine alot. But it sounds like you should buy my Roscoe Beck :D

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If it's got a headstock I don't want it. ;)

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Me too. A little growl or a lot. I decide. I am the arbiter of tone.

15. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    It's not a four string, is it?

16. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yup. Sounds right to me. I don't even own a bass without one.

17. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I can get an awsome tapping tone by using just my bridge pickup, and i get a warmer bass typical bass tone when at the bridge.

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Five.

19. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    usually keep my Bridge pup on 100% and my neck pup at about 85% just enought to bring out that nice jazz bass growl. I wish my G&L L2500 had a blend knob.

20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My Jazz has vol/blend/tone rather than v/v/t like most, so I actually use it a good bit to find the sound for the night, then I'll leave it alone as much as possible. My Roscoe, however, sees alot of work on the blend knob. Some nights it changes nearly every other song. I really don't mess with the pickup selection on my Hagstrom too much, because it uses those stupid little 2-way sliders that are just a pain to deal with.