1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's an Eagle Scout

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rstellar13, Oct 12, 2013.

1. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    Im in the process of getting my project finished and then ill be all done, im just curious what other thumpers are also Eagle Scouts? What were your projects like? Did it really make a change in your life?
    Thanks guys

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I did scouts for years but dropped out before I made it to Eagle.

Good for you for sticking with it.

3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I quit the Cub Scouts. No change in my life.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Never made it past First Class... I was our troop's lowest ranking Senior Patrol Officer ever. The other members of the troop advanced, but I was content camping, hiking and shooting.

5. chilepunkbass

chilepunkbass

Apr 15, 2013
    $hile
    in my country there is no egles or first class
    please explain

6. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I am(was) an Eagle Scout. My project was a partial renovation of sections of the church that sponsored us. Had to get the funding, the project plan and man-power scheduled.

I would say it made an impact. Both personally and professionally. The Boy Scouts I was involved in was very active in the outdoors. From what I hear that may not the case any longer for all troops. I still love camping and hiking. I also have a great appreciation for nature and it's conservation (not like Save the Planet, but more like pick up your trash to keep it beautiful). I can build a fire without a match. I can cook food without pots and pans. I can build a shelter without a tent, etc, etc. I feel more enriched from the experience.

As far as professionally... I was told it helped me get accepted into college instead of sitting on a wait list or having to attend my #2 school choice. It helped lay a foundation of project management as well. Being a patrol leader, SPL, junior Scout Leader, etc all helped with this. The project itself definitely gave me my first look at how "adults" handled things in the "real" world. I was impressed at how unprofessional a few folks were. I am an IT project manager now.

All in all, I am very thankful I earned it. I am very thankful for the time I spent as a scout, the life long friends, and all of the experiences I was able to have.

Good Luck!!!!

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I am.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I got pretty high up there. I can't recall if I finished the requirements to get Life, but I definitely was close.

I ended up quitting because I was no longer able to make time for scouting events since I was always busy with competitive soccer and marching band back in high school. I just found those things much more important to me than scouts.

*edit* I don't think I could even tie a square knot anymore if my life depended on it! Gotta find me some rope to find out :p

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am an Eagle Scout, and I do feel that it has made a significant impact on my life.

It definitely opened doors for me in college, and I think it helped secure some scholarship offers from certain schools (which I turned down, because dammit, I'm a Buckeye!).

When I left the Ohio EPA and interviewed with several big law firms, even though I felt like I had some significant academic accolades and some laudable work experience, I received more positive feedback and comments on achieving Eagle than anything else on my resume. This came as a bit of a shock, to be honest, but it definitely helped me gain some perspective on the value of a young person being able to stick with something (and something of a positive/service-oriented nature) and see it through to completion.

More importantly, though, I definitely feel that the sense of helping others, being a good friend/citizen, honoring your God and your country, and just basically "doing a good turn" is something that has stuck with me throughout my life. I'm not saying that I'm always doing the right thing, or that I'm living my life on the straight and narrow - I've been an idiot and a jerk on far too many occasions. But there's a voice inside my head that reminds me from time to time that I am an Eagle Scout, and this makes me think of priorities in life, and the value of doing by and large "good things." It sounds corny, but it's true. I think that becoming an Eagle Scout at 15-16 has helped me to "be a better me" throughout the rest of my life.

What's really special to me is that my son is now in Boy Scouts, and he often remarks that his dad is an Eagle, and that he's hoping to reach that rank, himself. :cool:

For my Eagle project, I asked our local city beautification committee if they had any projects needing attention, and I ended up picking an old, abandoned, very run down parking lot near our flood wall, just to one side of the busiest bridge in town. No one parked there, anymore, and it was a definite eyesore. I got the city to bust up and haul away the old asphalt, I got a topsoil company to truck in a bunch of dirt (which ended up being pretty poor stuff, and we had to rake rocks out of it for days). We planted a number of trees (mostly small, flowering types) and shrubs, installed a stone walking path for the fishermen who traverse the parcel, and planted grass. I also organized a group of local business people to water the trees/bushes/grass and care for it after I was done, and even got a local service club to adopt it. Almost 30 years later, it still looks pretty good!

I commend you for heading down the path to Eagle, and I wish you all the best in finishing things up! :hyper:

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Right over left, and under; left over right and under. :D

11. rstellar13

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    Wow guys so inspiring really gave me the boost i needed to finish out my project. For my project I am going to a local nursing home and I am teaching them to properly Skype and use Facebook to communicate with thier loved ones, this was thefirst time this has ever been done, so along with teaching the elderly i am also teaching scouts and nursing staff to actually teach them, while also creating a physical "keychain" incase they forget there login info, i hope it all works out!

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Very cool! I like that you are planning on some longevity to your project by ensuring that the staff know how to do these things and how to train the residents. Keep up the good work! :cool:

13. rstellar13

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    Thank you sir, just like I was ASPL now SPL and hopefully Junior Scoutmaster by the end of it!

14. I had to drop out after Life. Went to a boarding school for high school and my parents told me I had to get a job or not get a car.