Who's annoyed by their bandmate(s)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rojo412, Apr 3, 2002.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Right now, I'm in a band with perhaps the worst guitar player on the face of the earth. Hear me out, I'm not digging on a guy who is a newbie to the music world, so don't get your panties in bunches. I love people that try and if they want it, they get better.

My guitarist has been playing for 9 yrs. He knows what a guitar is, how many strings it has, etc, but he has absolutely no concept of what he is playing. He knows what can only be described as "painful blues," or something like blues but with real feelings of pain. As much as BB King can make his guitar weep, which is cool and gives the impression of pain, this guy plays in a fashion that resembles choking asthmatic geese, mic'd, and through horrible distortion tone.
    He also does not realize how bad he is. Everyone who hears him play winces in pain. After every show, people come up to the singer and I and say "your music was cool... but what the hell is up with the guitarist? he sucks."

What do you do about a guy like this? Is anyone feeling the pain of asthmatic geese choking?

Also, the drummer is horrible at keeping a steady pace and remembering songs, but he isn't even a freckle on the butt of our problem.
  2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm lucky not to be in that situation. i only have to deal with annoying people! wa-hoo...

ps- you're as funny as i think i am.
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Why not just leave the band, if it's so bad?
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I believe you've described the singer in my cover band. I have good reason to stick with it however. He runs the show, he handles a crowd well, pays for rehearsals, books us, does all the work - essentially it's his band and we're pretty much hired guns.

I'm not sure why you're sticking with these guys??? If the guys you're playing with aren't in the same league as you, I'd suggest moving up. Why work with people that are only going to hold you back?
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i was. so i left th band and started an home reording project. i am happy now! sometimes i play with friends, record with them, but i have no dull bandmate to live with!
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, it's not all the guys. The singer/rhythm guitar player is great. He writes riffs and lyrics, he controls the crowd, he is the man. I've known him for years and he is a great guy. The drummer isn't so bad, but I've played with better. I think if we kicked out the guitarist, he may end up quitting because he knows he's the weakest link (and I don't watch that show).
    The guitarist blows and we are all too afraid to can him. His name is in the band name... sorta (Fival's Fuel Farm, he's Fival). He does book shows, but that's about it. We don't want to make an enemy of him by canning him.
    Also, I'm really in no position to walk out. I have nowhere to turn to. One band just broke up and the only prospects are a couple of goobers who think they are the next big thing, but just sound like other people. Plus, I want to have some creative control over the music, not just be a puppet.
  7. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    If his "style" (uh-umm) doesn't fit with the rest of the band and it is a concensus, lose him. This isn't easy or fun. We just let someone go in my band. We held on to him way to long which inevitably made it a lot worse for everyone, especially for him . There is never any good time, but if it is inevitable, the sooner the better. You have to look at it from the perspective of what is best for the band. Yes, you will probably lose a friend, at least for a while. And so it goes. A perspective from someone who has been relieved of their duties in a band is always enlightening. Good Luck!:(