Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's Brad Johnson?????????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peatroosio, Dec 25, 2000.

1. Peatroosio

Peatroosio

Apr 24, 2000
    from reading various threads i've come to associate his name with incredible deals, yet i have no idea who he is. Is he a saint? bringing bassists the equipment they deserve for reasonable prices? Brad, if you ARE a magical deal finder, could you hook me up with a workingman's 15 for about $300-$400?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :confused:

brad's known for his deal finding ability, but i didn't know he shared it with anybody.

if so, hey brad, i could use a new pair of steel tipped engineer boots for about $40. :D

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Brad is Fieldy's guitar tech.

Hey, by the way, you know it was I who found the used Eden D-210XLT for $230. Jerry J reaped the benefit of that. The same place had a used Metro for $795. They may still have it.

4. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Well, a company called "Alp" makes a 10 or 12 hole steel-toe boot for about $40. There's a local (Alameda, CA) army surplus store that has stacks of them. Unfortuately, they only last about 4 months of constant use... or did the last time I tried, which was about 5 years ago.

After going through 3 pair, I bought a $120 pair of Gorilla boots. There's a small hole in the leather above the steel toe and part of the bootstrap is coming unsewn, but other than that, they're awesome! Hell, there's still a ton of tread, after about 5 years of daily wear!

Oh, and when I'm wearing them, I sound like your favorite bass player and get 90% discounts off list price for gear. :D (OK, that part's not true, but the rest of the post is...)

--noise

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually most of the deals I find, I do try to pass on to others. I hope it doesn't make me a deal fairy or anything:eek:

The brand new Alembic Series I that I found outside Atlanta last Summer for over $5500 off retail... I put that up on TBL first. Nobody contacted that store (seriously, no body)so after four days, I bought it myself for $2200. On the way to the airport I stopped by a pawnshop and found a late model Carvin LB75 with a PB200 combo amp, $450 for both IIRC. I put that info up on the web when I got home, nobody called that shop.

I let several groups know about the Series I over the next 29 days and nobody expressed any interest (at the price I paid). I took it back to GC and got a refund. I haven't checked with Mimi at Bunnybass but it looked like she ended up with that same bass on her website and it sold for over $3k. I got several emails over the next year asking about the Alembics availability:rolleyes:

I can't prove it but I think I know why people don't take advantage of the info I put out when I find something... they probably simply don't believe me. That's okay, it's their loss.

I've mentioned a few things here I've run across and while people initially express interest, it's rare they actually call the other party.

That in itself doesn't bother me (why should it?) and I guess for anyone who has to be an "original owner"...cool. I'm not the original owner on my Polytone MiniBrute III ($69) or my $150 AMP BH-420 or that Surine 7 I picked up for a grand but I like them anyway. Go figure.

Here's how I get silly deals.... I look. Often. Stores, pawnshops, estate sales, yard sales, etc. I don't have to get permission to make a deal. I'm ready to buy at any time...if I come across a $1500 Sadowsky, I'm ready:D
    Hell, if I come across a killer deal on an 80's 911, I'm ready. Lots of room on my plastic:D Being older and well established has it's benefits (and I get that discount at Denny's).

Above all else I know what I'm doing. I'm not saying that to be arrogant, this (home/auto/music audio/video gear) has been a hobby of mine for over twenty years. Ask yourself this, what would be a good reason not to buy an Adcom GTP-500 preamp for $59?

Answer: because you don't know anything about it, including value! Otherwise it's a ridiculous deal (I use it as a front end for audio on an older computer I have;) I use NAD gear on another.

My mother-in-law asked me to pick up a TV and a couple of VCRs, the day before Thanksgiving, to be brought to her the next day. I explained to her that on short notice, finding a great deal is harder. I ended up at Best Buys for the TV ($259, stereo 27", SVHS and RCA jacks, universal remote) and Circuit City for two Hi-Fi VCRS (auto clock, talking help) for $79 each. Not bad but...

On Saturday, I bought the model up from the one I got for mom-in-law, a March 2000 model, for $160. From the same pawnshop that I found my $60 Seiko Kinetic and way too many other things to list.

I have a house full of "I don't believe it" deals. Sometimes I give stuff to friends and family, sometimes I donate stuff, I've had incredibly good fortune in life and I realise this is just stuff (but it is fun stuff, to me) so when I can help someone else I do.

About the boots, JT... I found a nice pair at a local liquidation store, Rugged Warehouse. I'd recommend checking out places like Value City, too, believe it or not they carry lots of name brand, quality stuff at deep discounts. The suede workboots I'm wearing right now I've had for about three years, got them for $29.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If you're serious, more than likely:D I've seen several. I've also seen Redheads for $650:D

I prefer the Ampeg B-100R. Got mine, mint, for $250.

Forgot to mention, I've had extremely good luck on eBay and Bassgear.com. Harmony Central's classifieds are also a good source for gear.

I probably find these deals as compensations for the ones that got away. While I was in college my parents had the 57 Chevy Nomad my brother and I bought from the Dept. of Agriculture (for $75) towed away. I was devastated when I came home. I found a very clean 55 Nomad for $700 (this was 25 years ago and it still stings a bit;) and for the life of me could not come up with the money. Grrrr:mad: The 61 Plymouth Fury III with pushbutton tranny was even less money and I couldn't scrape that together either. I won't go into details on the $7000 Pantera back when I was in the USAF:D (I did find the 67 Porsche a month earlier).

My parents gave me very little as far as "optional" stuff and for that I am very grateful. I've always worked and bought whatever I've needed with my own funds. I like that.

Now deals seem to be like stray cats, they're everywhere.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee !

brad, you rule!!

if you ever get tired of that surine, let me know, mkay? :D

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My son and I hit the pawnshops today, he found a like new Nintendo 64 with clear controllers for $40.

I bought a set of speakers that I'll give to my mother-in-law: Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers- 2 two way satellites with 2 sealed subs (one for each channel) and a Niles speaker selector box. Total cost- $85.

I also found a Sears Silvertone tube guitar amp (model 1482) asking price $150 and another set of speakers, PSB model PSB 300 bookshelf speakers-$100 (not bad for speakers with Vifa tweeters). I didn't buy either. I still haven't figured out where to use the JBL 4408's yet;)

JT, if you're serious, I am in the process of deciding the Surine's fate (and the Lakland, too). I gigged with it last week and it was pretty cool but... :D

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Just got back from my first gig with my new cabs. GC is closing out the year with another sale... I picked up two slightly used Eden 210XLTs today for $349 each. They had a few more (4 ohm cabs, I bought two 8's).

I just used one and it sounded great. At the beginning of the gig the leader told me there was a request to use a bass by one of the guests later on in the show. I had brought a Lakland 55-94 and a Zon Legacy fretless 5 and wasn't crazy about the idea of a stranger using either one. Fortunately after meeting the guy, who informed me that he was "anal retentive" about his gear (too;)) and was sorry to impose, he used the 55-94 and nobody died.

I joke about being a deal magnet but sometimes this gets downright weird. My wife stopped by the pawnshop in town today and while there saw a Yamaha synth by the counter. She asked about it and was told it didn't work, they weren't going to fix it and they were about to throw it out... she could have it if she wanted it. It's a Yamaha PSR 500. She brought it home, hooked it up with a Yamaha AC adapter and it works fine. I guess that whole "polarity" thing is trickier than I thought.

Maybe we should play the lottery.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Today I got a remote control for my Tascam CD-RW5000 CD burner for $5 at GC. Yes, I already have one, but I figured it was a cheap insurance policy if my other one ever blows up.

Hey Brad, in addition to the $230 D-210XLT I got for Jerry J (it totalled $280 after tax and shipping), I bought a 4-ohm D-212XLT for $450 (sold it to our sound man) and had a shot at a D-210XLT from the same guy for $350, but hesitated and lost. Also, I got an Eden cover for my D-410XLT at one of the GC blowouts for $15, usually about $75.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    brad, I'd seriously be interested in that 7 as well...got a pic or two of it?

Besides, JT's got too many as it is. ;)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    is that xlr a di?
    and what are the knobs?

also, how far is the spacing at the nut?

14. hey brad....i dont know you or nothin like that....but can you find me a 4x10 cab for around $200

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The XLR is a DI but I haven't tried it yet. The controls are volume, volume, bass/treble stacked and mids. One volume control pulls up for passive (bypass). The spacing is 3/4" at the bridge but less at the 24th fret. The bass feels a lot like a Ken Smith, flat, wide neck, lots of room for slapping between neck pickup and end of fretboard. Feels like a J at the nut. If you look at the cleanup pictures you'll see that the body isn't very thick (it's Mahogany with a Maple top). Articulate sound, though not as flat as Lane Poors (I prefer the sound of Bartolini.

On another note...I brought the two D210XLT's in and hooked them up to see what they sounded like together. I can't imagine where I'll need two of these anytime soon. George (the cat) came into the family room, stretched out on the sofa and fell asleep while I was doing this. Strange cat.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    There was a Trace Elliott 410 at the local pawnshop for $150:D It has been covered in carpet instead of vinyl.
    $200 is probably in the range of a used Peavey or Carvin 410, either of which isn't bad for the money.

If you check the web bass sites regularly you'd probably be surprised what you could find. I just found another AMP BH-420 400w amp for $250.

17. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I'm selling my Peavey 410TX for around $200... but I'm on the wrong side of the world... :(

18. hey oysterman, if your willing to pay for all the shipping id gladly take it off your hands.

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Har har, ya kiddin' my ass!? :D

The shipping would cost me more than I would get for the cab!

Nice try though, Junior... ;)

(Yes, I'm frustrated, I've been trying to get rid of this since May.)

20. ever since i started here at talkbass a lot of people have called me Junior, why have i been plagued with that name? and no, the jr does NOT stand for junior.

and i see your a swede, do you happen to listen ot the band millencollin? they come from orebro, sweden and are a good punk band.