1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's coming along to college?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheChariot, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. TheChariot


    Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well... here I am now 400miles from home just west of Boston (I'm from western NY) at the dorms for the New England Institute of Art.

    Previously I was under the impression that I wasnt allowed to have any sort of amp here. Then I get here and I hear g***ar amps blairing... and I was like "DAMN!" :mad:

    So.... I guess I'm gonna make a run at getting a rig up here, because running headphones through a BP50 has gotten irritating (in only 1 day). But of course... there's some snags.

    1) Which amp should I haul up here? I've got a Sansamp BDDI at my disposal here... and at home I have a QSC RMX1450 in a rack at 1 option. But the apple of my eye is my 70's V4B. The logical choice is probably to bring the power amp, simply for value and security reasons... but I was wondering what input anyone might have.

    2) Transport. I do have a car here, and I did drive 7 ours to get here... but with gas prices over $3.50/Gal, I anticipate taking a train home for my vacations. Is it feasable at all to haul a 6U rack with me on a train? It seems like I might have to guzzle gas as a price to get my rig to MA... but I might do it... cuz I'm sick of being quieter than the g***ar amps.

    For a cab, I'm gonna have to hope that money swings my way and I sell some of my equipment someday. I've already chosen the Avatar B210Neo as my first cab... but I dont wanna get it till my Ampeg BXT sells off... so that might delay the process as well.
  2. I brought in whatever I could fit when I lived in the dorms. I only had two complaints and just promptly turned down. There was a time when I actually had my 810 cabinet in my dorm room and jammed on it regularly. If you plan on gigging regularly or playing with a band, you could bring your whole setup (provided you had a cool/understanding roommate), but if you just want to practice, a 15" combo amp or less should suffice. Remember, its not the size of your rig that can get you into trouble, just how loud you turn up that volume knob.
  3. Ive taken a 4U case on a bus, that was easy enough if i did about kill myself, id think it would be fine anyway

    Id take the V4B, but i like 'pegs, so thats why id say it, however, it does sound like you may have to compete with some rather loud g***ars, so, maybe your better take the rack, for the sake of power (and difficulty to steal)
  4. Matt H

    Matt H

    Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    not amp related-

    I'm from MA, and am currently at school in western, NY... about 380 miles from home... funny how these things work.
  5. TheChariot


    Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    hahaha... nice to know. Your probably getting your money's worth out of your education moreso than I am. :p :rolleyes: