1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's Done a Fenderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Nov 5, 2010.

1. I'm thinking about this. Lets see yours, and hear your story!

2. A search would give you approximately 10000 threads like that to read from...
    Enjoy

3. I suppose! I'm not after sifting through, I just wanted to know specifically who's done one. Threads you find tend to get bloated with a lot of OT detouring. But you're right...

4. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    John Entwistle

5. I believe that TBer Robert Paulson built a five-string Fenderbird with a SD MusicMan humbucker from Warmoth parts.

6. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2 people instantly come to mind Tbird1958 and Ric5

7. I'm hoping they'll show up and chime in... It's just a casual question, and I don't really have lots of time to invest in it. I'd like to do one, but it's not urgent. Yet. ;)

8. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Hi there,
    I built mine from an Epi body and a MM lefty J neck, to keep it simple I shaved the neck down to fit the pocket. I would not suggest using a Warmoth body as the neck rout is too shallow and makes for a very big bass that is difficult to reach the low frets.

If you don't feel like building one BaCH makes them, I have 2 of their Non Reverse T Birds in my collection - they're very nice basses at a modest price.

http://www.bachmusik.com/en/bach-ft-1-dhb_p1551

My Epi......

thunderbirds022.

9. That looks very cool, and I like the lefty neck.

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Mine using mostly vintage parts -

fullviewX.

topview.

ferrule.

buzzardJEB.

layout.

11. TBird1958

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Love that bass, John!

And your little dog too :)

12. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have done a few over the years #1 from 1982 fantastic sounding bass weighs a ton. 100_1695. one of my more recent IMG_4323.

13. That's very cool- not quite standard looking, which I also like.

I'm playing my bass with the strap buttons at the back of the body these days- for ergonomic reasons- and the neck is pretty close to pointing straight-up-vertical as opposed to horizontal. I'm wearing it slung pretty low, and my right hand is spending a lot of time near the bottom of the neck. I still alter my right hand playing position a lot, but I'm coming into something regular here.

I figure the general shape of the T-Bird really is better suited to such a situation. I'm getting the occasional flash of doing a radical pointectomy on my Hamer Cruisebass, as the pointy upper bout is pressing into my solar plexus... so maybe I should just build something.

So that's the reason for my soliciting pix of your guys' projects! I want to get an idea of what's involved, maybe where I could find a body. Maybe I'll even make one, as I have access to a decent work space. And I could find a nice piece of wood easily enough.

So I appreciate the replies all, thanks! Some cool projects here.

14. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I built mine to suit my needs not exact copies of Entwistles, which btw I love, am building one I just need time and money to finish (thanks John for the pattern !) There are all kinds of options build something that suits you if you are inclined. My stalled J.A.E. Fenderbird JAEneck002.

15. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I forgot about this one I built tuned BEAD, lives in Sweden now. 011. 100_1778.

16. Drinky Crow sticker FTW!!! :smug:

17. I took it one step further and built my own birds from scratch.
    My fretless:
    d3c06ffb.
    And my P/J:
    390016d4.

18. TBird1958

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Actually some artwork, then gloss clear coated.
    My alocohlic inspiration :smug:

thunderbirds023.