1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's done DIY Bad Monkey mods?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pattyløve, Jan 5, 2012.

1. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    Whilst searching through talkbass, i found this mod you can do to a bad monkey:
    Info on my Bad Monkey Mod's.. Enjoy! - IbanezPsycho's Blogs | Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Who has done this mod or something similar to their own bad monkey? Is it a worthwhile mod? To me, it sounds like a no brainer;
    -Increased bass, im assuming means a lower centre frequency for the knob. Which would make it more suited to the bass guitar, right?
    -Less mids = more transparency = more natural tube OD (right?)

But these are just my assumptions. I'd love to hear other people's experiences and wether its worth doing :)

2. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    I did it to those specs. Sounds much nicer. The mids decrease mod I didn't like it as much. I got lost in the mix to much. I actually got a toggle so that I could go between stock and mid cut. All in all its a great mod. Mine got replaced by a Fuzzrocious Dark Driving.

3. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

Jul 1, 2008
    I did a bass mod I found by searching TB. Added a ton of low frequency, and generally darkened it up. I like it a lot but don't remember exactly what I did--pretty sure it was two caps, and that everything else was surface mount so I wasn't going to bother with it anyway. I regret not changing the LED to a yellow one while it was opened up though--that would look awesome with the green enclosure and yellow lettering.

4. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Do you remember if you used .15uf or .1uf cap? I guess if the .15 cuts too many mids I could go for the .1uf cap..
    I do really like the bad monkey but would like it even better if that mid hump was smoothed out a touch.

5. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    I believe did only the .1uf because getting a .15uf wasn't an option at RadioShack when I got the parts. Your liking may very. I just missed the mids to help cut. That's why the toggle switch was nice to switch between both options if wanted. Who knows the RadioShack tolerances on their stuff could be +/- 20% so sounds may very.

6. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful.
    Did you find your effected tone had less mids than your non-effected tone? Or was the drop in mids youre talking about more in relation to the unmodified pedal?

7. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I did it. It sounded different, way more bass available, but I never felt like the BM sounded bad stock, regarding low end. I felt like it darkened my tone too much. The mods seemed to help that, too, but I eventually sold it. Overall it's a great pedal, but I like a lot of brightness and bite in my tone, and this pedal kills some of that (which wouldn't matter to a lot of people).

-JV

PS - I did to the Yellow LED and it did look rad (I even took a sharpie to the logo and changed the B to an R.....RAD Monkey!!!

8. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    With the overdrive on, when I had the mids cut switch engaged, the sound was more muddy instead of hearing the detail of the bass. With the stock mids setting on, it definitely gave me a mid hump and I had more definition.