Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's ever eaten a Pasty?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by travatron4000, Mar 7, 2005.

1. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I haven't eaten one of those since I was in the Marines, going to all those topless bars.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I almost don't want to ask, but what does a Pasty have to do with topless bars?

4. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    a pasty, like paste like glue, is a thing that is glued to a nipple to cover it, it usually has tassles

what i'm talking about is different
    check the links. it's real food

5. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd also like to ask if anyone's ever eaten at a Beef 'a' Roo

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Sounds like something from Austrailia,

7. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    it's kinda like an arby's but i've only seen them up here. good roast beef and milk shakes

8. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Hey, I've been eating them for 30+ years now! I grew up in the gold country of the Sierra Foothills here in Californ-eye-a, and pasties are big up there, because they started with the Cornish miners taking them down into the mines (a whole portable meal). I think there were Cornish miners in the UP, too, so that's where they started there.

Anyway, turns out there's a great Pasty Shack here in Sacramento, too, and me and my kids get 'em probably a couple times a month. (Way better than Mickey D's, and the kids like it just as much!)

The traditional beef ones are classic, but chicken is good too. I've maybe had a piece of one fall onto my nipple while I was eating, but I've never glued one to my nipples, that's for sure.

9. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    yay for northen california, i remember going to the foothill with my parents when i was a knee high and getting those, somewhere around jackson area.

10. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    haha, crusty nipples. blurs the meaning of the phrase, "nice rutabagas". but yes playsthebass, they are cornish and there were a large number of cornish miners up here when the mines were really big in the early to mid 20th century. also a lot of finns. were actually hosting the next annual finnfest. good friends of mine are big finns. A UP native English Prof of mine is cornish.

they are excellent food. and way the hell better than McD's have you seen "Super Size Me"? Horrible, scarry stuff....

11. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Damn Yoopers! How's the snowmobiling up there? Oh and by the way...you play electric bass? I didn't think Consumers energy had run lines up there yet! ;)

Seriously...I've had plenty of them being a Michigander...actually in 6th grade, my homeroom teacher had us cook some up in class. Only in Michigan!

BTW, Travatron...ever hear of the 1 pound cinamonn roll...somewhere up there near you I think.

12. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Yeah, that was amazing. I've always disliked fast food, but even so, that was still an eye-opener. I mean, the amount of SUGAR was incredible!! You expect the fat.

What got me was him puking on what, Day 2, or something like that?

13. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    rumzini,
    yes i have seen the 1lb cinammon roll. a friend of mine who's a native loves them though she only gets 1 or 2 a year. i cant remember the name of the place though, those things are the size of a bowling ball

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Pasties: whenever I can get them, which isn't too often.
    Beef-a-Roo: Yep, several of them in Rockford, IL, the home of Cheap Trick.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Weird.....I JUST finished watching that. I came on here to see if there was a thread about it. Then, I was going to respond the same way you did to the McD's comment, until I saw you already did.

Yeah, that is a scary show. I was shocked to see the salads have more calories than the Big Mac. All I know is that I will never eat at a fast food joint again.

-Mike

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Say Yah to da UP man!!! Been up there many times chasing aquatic speices with my Fly rod (damm them things cost almost as much as a Sadowsky Bass!!). Had many a pastie, I don't know about the topless bars tho, something about them lumberjack women that scares me!!! Last time I went up there, I was amazed at how much Marquette had grown, You got a Wal Mart and everything, neat, not so little college town! Is it still about 6 guys for every girl on campus? I hear they've got a great womens hockey program, chicks on skates with sticks, the places the imagination can go.

17. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Tech has a ratio like that NMU is about 3 or 4 to one girls to guys. so... its pretty nice. though I live with my GF, carla, whom i love very much. My buddy would get upset when the tech guys would come down and hit on all the girls at parties. We do have a Walmart :( there was a great simpsons this week making fun of walmart. it's so evil. like McD's.

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yes! I grew up eating them at Grossmont Center in San Diego....then they disappeared. If there was another one in SD I'd love to check it out. Spinach and Cheese....my favorite. :)

19. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I've never set foot in a Walmart, and I never will. I was trying to explain the concept to my 8-year-old daughter the other day, because I was telling her we couldn't get the lunchbox she wanted if that was the only place that had it (a friend of hers had gotten hers there). I think she was getting it. (Must be the pasties in her blood making her strong!)

20. Pasties - what you eat when you're not eating a pie.