Who's Fleetwood Mac's bassist and what does he play?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CJK84, May 19, 2005.

1. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Been listening to FM's greatest hits - songs like Dreams are superb.

Who's on the bass and what was his ax and rig back in the 70s and early 80s?
  2. John McVie played bass, Mick Flletwood played drums, hence, Fleetwood Mac!
    I don't know what his gear was back then, but he plays one hell of a sweet bass now!
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    John McVie. I think on a lot of the band's 70's-80's hits he used Alembics but I've also seen him with a P-Bass. Over the past few years he's been using a Tobias.

Great player.
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Fender Precisions, Alembics, Tobias, and Rick Turner electric basses. He also played Kramer and Turner acoustic/electric basses. Tasty tone!
  5. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah he has some tasty lines, the chain and the green manilishi are my favourites..
  6. He also played Warwicks and, as far as I know, he uses Ampeg amps and speakers but I don't know what models
  7. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    And in case anyone was wondering, Flick Meatwood was the drummer in Meatwood Flack :)
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've also seen shots of John in the early Peter Green era playing a Thunderbird!

For the mid 70s Buckingham/Nicks stuff it's most likely either the Precision or the Alembic. Turners didn't come out until 1980 or so, Tobias mid 80s.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was never a Fleetwood Mac fan but my current band had a few of their tunes on the setlists. I listened to them and I was like.......whoa, nice basslines! Specifically, we play Say You Love Me, Silver Springs & Rhiannon.
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I agree!.....I think John's lines where the epitome of taste, space and groove for the pop music they where making at the time :cool:
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

12. One thing that no-one really gets a handle on is that Fleetwood Mac was Peter Green's band. In fact, the name of the band was 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.' The core of the band was from John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and because Peter wanted what he thought was the best rhythm section in the world behind him, he named the band after the guys he wanted in the band. Unfortunately, McVie didn't want to leave the guaranteed paycheck of being in Mayall's band. I guess it took some arm twisting. ;)
  13. Rick Turner

Rick Turner

Jul 14, 2004
    John currrently has four basses of mine, a fretted Renaissance RB-4, fretted and fretless Electroline 434-PMMs with two magnetic pickups and piezo bridge, and a custom bird's eye maple top and back double symetrical cutaway that's kind of in the spirit of his first Alembic, but made with a bolt-on Electroline neck. I also made him several Alembics "back in the day", including a fretless with a stainless steel fingerboard and the very first graphited necked bass. He got both of those during the time the band was recording "Rumours".

John used the Electroline fretted and Renaissance for the band's latest record, "Say You Will."
    EdwardofHuncote likes this.