1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's from the Phoenix area? Considering a move next year, and would love some info.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Title says it all. Come March I have my three years into the house I bought and won't have to pay back the damn home buyer's tax credit. Come that time, I'm considering selling and heading to the Phoenix area. My fiance lived there for about 15 years and wants to go back. I've always considered that area (I *love* the heat), but I'd like some opinions besides hers.

Anyone have anything at all to share? Thanks in advance! :)

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Two sisters in law live there, I was in Phoenix last year, IME , I was expecting a big city with lot of stuff to do..nope... I did not lake it at all, neither my relatives that have been there forever. The heat is brutal. No trees. no grass. Lizzards wear sunglasses. Best thing is that California and Las Vegas are pretty close. Good luck

3. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Everything is paved or concreted
    Traffic
    Strip malls
    Heat

Mesa, Chandler, Glendale, Scottsdale, Anthem - It really doesn't matter....... it's ALL Phoenix!

I tried it, (hated it) - moved to Flagstaff for 12 years. It was better but then that town turned into a big city seemingly overnight with people "escaping" from Phoenix.

Had to go to Colorado to get far enough away for my liking.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Honestly, it sounds like everything I dislike about my native South Florida--with no beaches, babes, ocean breezes or good sports teams to compensate.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Too many strip malls for me. As mentioned, the whole place is one giant city that goes from intersection to intersection. But I'm not going to lie...it was way cool driving around in a Jeep with the top off and wearing shorts one night in December with the temp about 75.

The Prescott area, I could live there easy.

-Mike

6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Can't help, Eric. Though I'd like to visit the Lauren Phoenix area ;)

7. Only input I can give was I spent 2 weeks there for my employer. It was great weather during the month of January to February. Temps were in the upper 60's/low 70's and sunny for the most part. Stuff to do but it just lacked a "towny" feel. Lots of corporate and the burbs just melted into Phoenix proper. One BIG city.

I can't imagine 115 degree heat. :rollno: I lived in Las Cruces, NM for several years and the weather was great but from May thru October it was usually in the upper 90's and eventually it gets a little old but you adjust to doing yardwork during the morning or hire someone. Outdoor activities was going from the car to indoors.

8. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    They get the occasional haboob.

9. Wulp, we're going to head out there in December so I can check out the area as much as possible. I need more info on employment prospects for my field, the current housing market in the area we're considering (Avondale-ish), etc.

Thanks for your input, guys.

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It will be lovely in Decemner - especially when compared with bone-chilling PA. Winter is the easy time of year.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Everything that flies or crawls bites or stings. If you plant a seed, it won't grow without intensive watering. When it does rain it RAINS!!!

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Phoenix is a long way from Denver...

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh man, December is a great time to be in Phoenix. Go back in July though so you can get a sampling of the heat.

I have some personal and professional relationships in the Phoenix area. If you want, PM me with the type of jobs you are after and I'll see what I can find out for you.

-Mike

14. Yeah, ideally I'd visit in the scorcher weather, but that's not much of an option.

I do have friends in Vegas and I've visited there several times in the face-melting months. I enjoyed it!

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The heat is crazy hot, but I found that after a few days my blood thinned out and I adapted to it. You also learn to do things early in the day or later in the evening.

Honestly, I could see myself taking that trade-off to be able to walk around outside in a tank top and shorts in the middle of January without getting frostbite. As appealing as that is, the concrete jungle part prevents it from happening.

-Mike

16. Well, we never made it in December, but we did just buy our plane tickets for next month for a weeklong visit. If all goes well, the house goes on the market upon my return!

Any other input from my TB brethren??

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    That's funny! My reply on FB was pretty much identical!

18. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    The heat must be ridiculous in the summer because after twenty years of living in Las Vegas , one of the common rebuttles I'd hear after complaining about the heat would be, "Phoenix is worse !".

19. It is. The last week or so here (northeast PA) has been brutal on the other end of the thermometer though. We were lucky to hit the teens for a *high* during that stretch. I'll take the heat, thank you! ;)

20. Housing is cheap.

lowsound