1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's Gigging With A Single Barefaced One10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theevilplankton, Dec 27, 2017.

1. As per the title - I've read a few references on TB about players gigging with a single One10, but not a lot about their experiences and musical context.

Situation is, I'm changing the car to a Mercedes SLK - obviously, the trunk isn't the biggest, with the bass travelling on the passenger seat.

As I'm getting the car next week, a few weeks in advance I ordered a Barefaced One10, as it fits well in the back.

Up to now, I usually gig my Fender Rumble 115 cab (paired with the 500 head). It's normally pubs, small-ish venues. 3-piece power trio, my volume on the head is never more than about a 1/4! Bass is usually a Gibson SG.

I emailed Barefaced, and they were pretty confident that the One10 will match a single 112, or my 115, for output. I've read so many good things, I ordered it anyway, it just sounds too good.

How many out there in TB land are regularly gigging their One10? What kinds of bands/volume levels? I'm really hoping it'll fulfil my needs. BF were sure it would! I'd be reluctant to order another, as I'm not sure on the space....!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well...it did not work for me. Overall it couldn't match the volume of my GK 112 and it couldn't handle a B string. Sounded good though at house volume, just not enough output for me.

theevilplankton likes this.
  3. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have done it a number of times in several mostly acoustic type groups, gypsy jazz, bluegrass and more electric folk rock. The gypsy and bluegrass groups are all acoustic, the electric folk rock group includes an electric guitarist who can keep volume under control and a drummer that is reasonable. (When the guitarist BL and I discussed the folk rock project one premise was that it was not going to be really loud like your typical Classic Rock.) I've used the One 10 at smallish gigs with all three bands where I normally would have used one Bergantino CN112 with no problems. I normally use a ToneHammer 500 with volume never above noon and gain off but have also used the One 10 with my Rumble 150 v2 head with fine results. Like OP, I am constrained on my vehicle, a Mazda Miata. I can get the One 10 in the small trunk or a Berg CN112 or CN210 in the front seat which works fine (covers are good to keep the car and cabs from getting banged up). So while a 115 probably will not fit in the front of your new car a 112 or 210 will. I don't use a five string (yet). The One 10 is fabulous for rehearsals and jams and has been fine for smaller gigs, IMHO everyone should have one but I really like have a variety of cabs and heads.

4. Interesting stuff - thanks chaps.

I'm beginning to think that 1 may not be enough.... although BF themselves were confident otherwise....

5. Alex is a bright guy and knows his product line well. Personally I wouldn’t play a pub with one of my 2x10 cabinets, Acme, let alone sort of half a one.

As for transportation, any vehicle that I purchase has the #1 purpose of moving my gear. All else is a distant secondary consideration. What is the point of having fancy wheels if your musical experience suffers for it? Last question: are you a musician or a driver? :D

6. Knob position is never a good guide to power output.

Munjibunga and funkinbottom like this.
  7. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    The One10 has been my only cab for awhile now, and I'm powering it with a GK MB200. My gigging situation is similar to yours - 3 piece power trio, small-ish venues, etc. Our singer plays acoustic guitar, and we typically do the speakers-on-a-stick thing for vocals. We've done a couple outdoor gigs with full PA support, and I've even played an extremely large, airplane-hangar sized convention hall with the One10 (with PA/monitor support, of course). Believe me, the One10 can hang. You'll be surprised with what it can do.

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, to be fair and reasonable, a 1x5 would "work" with full PA support with good monitors or IEM .. you almost really don't need a cab for that scenario.
    I know BF touts their cabs as matching/exceeding much larger cabs, and I have no direct experience, but I have a hard time believing that a 1x10 could equal an equivalently well designed and spec'd 1x12 (Berg, Baer, Genzler etc) for output.

When shrinking my rigs in recent years, I have always erred on the side of " a bit more is better than just a bit too little" ... you can always turn down a bit larger rig, but you can only turn up a too tiny rig so far before it sounds like crap.

No matter what the magical rhetoric, the laws of physics still apply.

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    There's a big difference between a "garden variety" 112 and 115. If a "usual" 112 worked for you (without pushing it to its' max) then IME the One 10 will do nicely. However, if you're pushing a 115 hard, I doubt the One 10 will "satisfy" in the same context.

10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I routinely gig a single H1203, but I wouldn't go much smaller for any of my gigs except maybe some yacht club jazz hits. I haven't played the Barefaced one10, have played the two10 which I liked a lot. My hunch is that with a drummer and an electric guitar the one10 cab is going to be breathing hard. But depends on a lot of variables.

monsterthompson and Al Kraft like this.
  11. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    I haven't played any of the cabs you mentioned, but I have played the One10 quite a bit, and I can only speak from my experience. The OP asked who's gigging currently with only a One10, and that's what I've been doing for awhile. And I don't use IEMs.

12. Great info guys.

I am tempted to order another, simply as I could transport it, and it would just give me a little extra headroom. The waiting time just means that I'd be kind of in mind of pulling the trigger before I get the first one.

Obviously for rehearsals, it enables the freedom to just carry one.

I'm just a little worried about getting lost in the mix with one, although the 115 never usually exceeds a 1/4 on volume, my gain is always at around noon, so with the Gibson bass, my tone usually has quite a solid bottom end.

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I can tell you with confidence that a pair will handle a reasonable rock gig in a small to medium venue even without PA. The pair gets plenty loud......a whole 'nuther level of loud as compared to one box, as is always the case. If a Rumble 115 was enough for you, a pair of these little lunch boxes will definitely be faaaar louder than enough. If you were not pushing the 15, a single One 10 still might be fine.

14. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Having two would be awesome, but I'd wait and see how the single one treats you. With the right kind of band/gig, it can definitely be more than adequate.

15. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I gigged a one10.
    I did flip it, though, and bought a Super Compact.
    The one thing a one10 can not do is the B string with boosted lows at gig volume.

It is one of the most beautiful setups for home practice and since it is an easy onehand carry and fits nicely into a cajon bag, It's something of a swiss army knive of tiny bass cabs. In that range, I never heard a better cab. As soon as you restring your 5 string with a high C and have E as your lowest note, and maybe aim for a rockbass tone with more mids and less boomy lows, this cab really turns up.
    When you play a regular 4 string, and don't do octavers and dubby lows, This cab will compete with most 112s that are twice as heavy.

I did acoustic and coffeehouse gigs with it and it delivered fine, even without PA support. I tried reggae with a 6 string and as soon as I went below E, I got farting.

I initially bought it because I wanted a portable rig (one bag, less than 10kg) that can handle a low B at home and be strong enough for a coffehouse gig. I still think that there is no better cab out there for just that.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  16. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I also gig a single Hathor, driven by a TH350. My band has a good PA for the rooms we play, so it's just for stage monitoring. My drummer is not super loud, but does play with energy. I have needed to turn down on one or two occasions. These high quality small cabs are game changers, but they can't do miracles, so anyone with out of control guitar players can get buried. Quality monitoring can help if you can at least get close with a 110, but monitors capable of putting out a lot of bass are very rare at the club level. If you think you're likely to need two 110s, consider a high quality 112.

17. Problem is, in the January sales (they've come early), I've seen a Markbass TRV 102P 2x10 at a real reduction.

That would fit easily in the car, and it's pretty close to what another BF One10 would set me back.

Puts me in mind to go for that, and flip the One10 when I get it (already paid a deposit....). It's overall, a much cheaper option.....and it's a ready-built light 2x10......

18. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I currently don't have a gig where my One10 would be loud enough.

I'm using 2 One10's in a new band in January but that's the smallest rig as I can use in the foreseeable future.

19. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    It’s funny how vehicle changes begat (there’s an old word) bass rig changes. I just went through the same, except my new vehicle - a Honda Fit, while smaller actually fits more gear. That made two cabs possible rather than my usual single cab solution.

Good to hear your experience with the One10. I’m sure it’s a great cab, but a little less magic. I think we’re hitting the wall of physics on how small and light cabs can actually go.

20. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    You would at least have the opportunity to a/b the two before you flipped the One10 - you might be pleasantly surprised and flip the Markbass. I am a fan of Markbass amps through the Barefaced 10s but I don't think their speakers come close to the tone or power handling of the BF10.

Ikkir and Plutonium244 like this.