Who's Gigging with Only a 2x10???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 7, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

for you low volume guys, who's giggin with just a 2x10? if so, what brand, and what do you like and dislike about it?
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    back when i had my funk band (4 horns,keys,guitar,bass,drums) i did some gigging with a single 210. there was this one medium size club that we played at where all those horn mics would pickup my bass rig because i played pretty loud and the stage wasnt all that big. thus, feedback ensued and contsant bitching followed. after that i just took a crate 210 there and ran the di out of my eden wt800 to the house. no problems after that. the stage tone wasnt all that hot but the sound coming through the mains was great.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    wait a minute, did i say crate?:eek:

.......shh, dont tell anyone;)
  4. arfur

Nov 26, 2001
    London, UK
    Gigging with a Peavey 210txf and a 2x300w power amp (one channel to the cab).
    Doesn't seem to have any problem keeping up with a drummer and two guitarists although I realise that I'm running it near the limit of it's abilities. The step that allowed me to to ditch the 4x10 that I used to carry around was the purchase of a heavy duty keyboard stand that allows me to get the whole rig up to shoulder height. No problems hearing meself now.
    From a few years on the other side of the sound desk there is nothing worse than a band with over the top back line. Always mucks up the sound for the audience even if it sounds great on stage.
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    When I have good PA support (powerful subs) I bring my SWR WM 210T and put it on a keyboard stand so it's closer to my ears. I bought it because it sounded bassier than the other cabs I tried.
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I gig with a EA VL210. Sold an Eden 410XLT for it. I gave up a little in volume but I think the tone of the VL210 is better. It's actually deeper and more neutral sounding, to my ears anyway. I have to cut through one guitar (40 watt tube amp) keyboard, sax, trombone and drummer. I power the 210 with an SWR SM400 and have no problem with volume with no P.A. support at the small to medium gigs. For the bigger rooms and outdoor stuff I bring my second VL210.
  7. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    An Eden 210xlt and an Aggie 359 seem to give me what I want in small clubs and on stage. I wound say the average small club I play holds about 250-350 people. I use the direct out through the house system when playing in a larger venue. I have no problem at all keeping up with a loud drummer, wailing sax and two electric guitars and still have plenty of headroom. When I have a GAS attack I sometimes think about adding a second 210 or 112 cab for versatility….but I don’t really need it.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    SWR Super Redhead combo.
  9. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I use my Eden Metro alone on gigs with my four piece jazz combo. The D210XLT in the Metro is a fine cabinet if you like the Eden sound. I love the versatility of this cabinet in that it can handle the low end on my 5-stringer and still have a pretty sweet high end. I like 'em so much, I'm considering grabbing one or two more D210XLTs.
  10. Depending on the size of the gig, I'll often times bring only my Eden 210xlt. For larger gigs I'll bring a 410xlt. The 210 actually projects real well-- if I was smart I would use it more often and save my back some grief.;)
  11. I frequently gig with my Aguilar 680/720 and a bagend D10BXD cabinet. I set the cabinet on top of my rack. Plenty of sound and plenty more available if I needed it. The soundman can take care of the rest. The only times I need more speakers are gigs without a soundman, or when I want to intentionally play way too loud. I tour with this cabinet and always have plenty of sound.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I gig in medium clubs with my Eden Metro 210 combo. It has plenty of volume, but I would like a little more oomph for the low B string.

I will remedy that in a couple of months with the addition of a D210XST cabinet.
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not to mash posts, but anyone using the Acme B-2's ;)

if the Acme's worked out for you, what setting did you play them in?

thx again...
  14. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I had an Acme b-2, awesome tone but as you may have read in other posts, it just wasn't loud enough. I probably should have tried two of them together.
  15. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    All I had for the past 2 years was my nemesis 210 combo.. it is a decent amp, but it got to the point where it wasn't loud enough... but hey, thats what money and big cabs are for :D
  16. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i recently shrunk my main rig to play through an SWR 2X10 cab. for most gigs, it has worked out great. there have been a couple of gigs, where the 2X10 just wasn't enough. any large rooms or any outside gigs, the 2X10 alone can't handle it.
  17. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hey, joker, I haven't used Acme B2 cabs but I've listened to them. They sound great and go deep but, as others have said, don't get very loud. My guess is, being used to the combination of Bergantino HT112 and Aguilar GS112, you won't find the Acme to add very much.
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I occasionally do it in a small room. Either an Eden D210XLT or Bergantino HT210. With the Eden, it's usually powered by my Eden WT400, the Bergie with my EA iAmp600. Frankly, I prefer the Bergantino HT112 in a small room, however. More balanced and gives me almost as much punch.
  19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

do you feel that the HT112 has more punch and clarity than your HT210? very interesting. explain, bud.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I play my 6 string through an Aguilar GS210, and it handles the low B incredibly well. I can get a ton of volume out of this setup, and it sounds great. Very smooth and clear sounding.