Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's going to scoop up this Benavente first?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  2. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    mmm...that is purdy!

3. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I wrote him about this bass when he put it up on bassgear.com... He didn't really reply to any of my inquiries and I probably would have bought it from if he forwarded me some pix. May mean nothing to potential bidders though. :meh:

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    THIS one is comin my way Friday!

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    is that a fender or a sadowsky.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Neither. It's a Benavente.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Those are both great basses. The Buckeye fiddle back was an Ed Roman bass..... the guy that bought it, not mention any names actually wants a 4 string Benavente first off and then finally found a 4 string bass before getting ready fro the Victor Wooten camp. That is a Killer price on that bass. Only thing that makes it and the Black Vintage Vortex not up to date is that they both have the Old Benavente preamp's in them. But to upgrade them to the New Preamp is nothing!

The Black was also a Summer NAMM bass and was bought by a guy that attended the show. He's been up and down about selling it to fund his home studio or dropping the new preamp. From what I gather in talking with him, selling it isn't easy!

Both Killer basses and Great deals that for sure!

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I purchased a Brubaker from the owner of the black Benavente Vortex. Even then, he was slow at answering emails. I later found out that the ".com" or ".net" extesion on his email address would some how always be the wrong one. After that, I sent all emails to both yada.com and yada.net. Make him an offer for the bass. That's what I did and he accepted.

JB

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Mine arrived yesterday and it is an INCREDIBLE bass. This thing looks great, sounds great, plays great. If someone has the jack to pick up the one advertised on this thread, they should DEFINITELY do it.

11. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    He responded from the email addy he posted but only once stating that pix would be coming soon... That was the last I'd heard from him until the auction got posted. I would have most likely taken it off his hands for close to what he was asking. Then I saw a VV5 with ash/maple with black inlays and binding at blueberry hill bass and decided to drop a bit more and go new. Thanks for the info though! ;)

12. rbeard

rbeard Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Does anyone have any questions about the black vortex vintage 5? :bassist:

13. rbeard

rbeard Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Benavente 5 vintage
    If anyone has question, please feel free to post or email beardman007@charter.net I promise to reply right back.

14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Looks like a really sweet bass... Best of luck selling it! ;)

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would love to get that but:
    • I want to have a custom built. :cool:
      • 5 string Vintage Vortex
      • Black alder body or trans black ash
      • Maple neck and board
      • Neck binding and star inlays.
      • Matching heasdstock
      • EMG VJ series pickups
      • Aguilar OPB-1
    • I dont have the money :bawl:

Peace
    Nick

16. I never was a big fan of the vortex. Something about the body style always irked me away. It looks like a great bass, but there is that something that throws me off from them...

17. rbeard

rbeard Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Actually, the vortex is a well balanced bass, when sitting its also great. The tone realy bites through, great for Jazz, gospel, rock, county and blue.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    [​IMG]

I just got back from checking this one out this morning. It's in very good condition and is set up very well. Everything works, the preamp sounded fine, it's a very articulate instrument. Light weight and balanced well. It has inlaid straplocks. I ran it through my Polytone MBIII and it sounded very nice. A great opportunity to pick one of Benavente's singlecuts up IMO. Highly recommended.

19. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    You're a collector of exquisite instruments. The price is right and you got to play it. Why didn't you buy it?

BTW, if it was a 34" scale or 4-string I would have bought it.

20. I wasn't refering to the body balance. I meant the visuals. I couldn't own a bass that I didn't think looked good and something about the vortex always didn't sit well with me.