Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's going to SXSW?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by silentstranger, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Yep, so the South By Southwest conference in Austin, TX is coming up soon... My band PBM (or Peanut Butter Mosquitos or whatever the hell we're calling ourselves this week :rolleyes: ) is flying down middle of next week and we're supposed to be playing at some place called Whiskey's on Friday March 14th. I'm absolutely psyched about this trip and I know it's gonna be a great experience, but two things have me somewhat worried: 1) my band has yet to appear on that massive list on the SXSW website, and 2) Whiskey's isn't even listed as a SXSW venue on the site! :confused: :mad: I know there must be a few conference veterans here, is this normal? I'm told we have the paperwork that confirms everything, but I haven't seen it...

Anyway, who else is going? It'd be cool to have a little gathering down there; I'd like to actually meet some fellow TBers :)

2. DUDE! While you're there, check out this band called "THE FIRE THEFT" at Aussies on March 14th!!!

It's Jeremy Enigk and Will Goldsmith from Sunny Day Real Estate, the godfathers of emo. DO NOT MISS THAT SHOW - check out their site:

The Fire Theft

BTW, congrats on getting on the bill at SXSW.

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    There are a lot of non-SXSW shows that happen during SXSW. Basically what happens is that you play during the festival, but it's not a show recognized by the festival.

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yeah...what Nails said...there is so much going on around here during that thing it's hard to determine what is and what isn't. Even the radio stations do their own thing with other bands. But it's so cool.

good luck and have fun!:cool:

5. Oh wow, I hope that's not what we're doing, that would totally suck...:( I mean, I love playing shows and all, but AFAIK we're not flying 1400 miles just to play in front of barhoppers in a different state; the purpose of the trip is to get heard by record execs...if the show's not recognized by SXSW, it seems doubtful that the labels will be there. Then again, I believe that this elusive paperwork that I mentioned before but have never seen is supposed to be the confirmation that we're playing a SXSW show...I think.

Blah. So come on, I KNOW there's gotta be more people going, speak up! :)

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    hey, I did ask our drummer (who's played in about every bar in Texas) if he knew the venue and he didn't...not that that's a bad thing cause places change names all the time. One thing he mentioned though is that during SXSW, lots of restaurants/bars rent out other building space next door or down the street to open up more venue space. Do you have any more info than just "Whiskey's"?? I'd also imagine a bunch of stuff will go on at the Austin Convention Center (which is huge).
    good luck with it!

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    We're (El Pus) supposed to play Spiro's on March 12th @ 12:30 am.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    To you people that will be attending, where can I meet you all?

9. Good Luck Men!!

SXSW or just close by, either way Austin is an awesome city to play in.

And never bet that a record exec does what's expected of him/her - they're known to wander from the beaten path (except when actually signing someone - :D )

10. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Woodchuck,
    how long are you staying? I'll be on a trip till the 14th...you sticking around into the weekend?

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the elephant room always has great groups playing there.

also, i used to play alot at miguel bodega and antone's (spelling?)

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I'll be there from Tuesday til Friday. We have other commitments.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Silentstranger,

I just got the complete schedule for SXSW out of the Austin newspaper and Whiskey's isn't listed in there. It appears that it's not an official SXSW venue. Sorry to say...hopefully they'll get plenty of overflow though. It's been known to happen. If that venue is on 6th street then you should be set as there will be gobs of people wandering in and out on 6th. The club name sounds familiar but I don't remember where it is.

I DO see woodchuck's band listed on Wednesday at Spiro's though. You've got an interestingly-named band playing right before you, woody - "Auditrons of Kemetic Suns." Hopefully they won't beam the club up into their spaceship before you get a chance to play. You have a good time slot - almost headlining the club...second to last band. Nice!

brad cook

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Kewl!

15. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    if you're playing anywhere in the vicinity of 6th during this thing you don't have to worry about having an audience--be more concerned about sounding good for your 45 minutes. awesome venue, great places to play and listen to music...which is why it has continued to grow and grow and folks want to come down here for it.

:D *plus you GOTTA go to Stubb's for some BBQ...

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    stubbs? is that on 7th, east of 35?:confused:

17. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
  18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    is that the place next to the convention center and a dirt parking lot? i guess i may just belong in san antonio

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't remember much of a parking lot at all. It's not hard to get to and it's not that far from 6th street. You can probably find easy directions from the website. I saw Medeski Martin and Wood there. Stubb's backyard is a great place for a concert on a nice night.

brad cook

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i am probably thinking of a different place. two years ago i had to work a booth there and we ate at this bbq place next to the convention center and a dirt parking lot

i think it was off of cesar chavez and ?