1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's gone back to rounds on their P-types or never left?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markob, Nov 23, 2018.

1. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I hated flats on my Squier vm precision. Liked em on my jazz and my hofner. Switched back to sit silencers. Perfect!

2. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Rounds for 43 years and counting. TB flat-fan saturation got me to try Chomes about 4 years ago and they were gone in about a week.
    I experience it this way: you can’t add the zing of rounds to flats, but with rounds you can always turn the knob and mellow out the treble.

3. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    "My Spector needs flats."

There, I said it.

markob, BEADG63 and DJ Bebop like this.
  4. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Thats true but you will never get the smooth,slick feeling of good flats from most rounds not to mention wear....my 59 year old fingers prefer flats, too many skin issues.

Some of my basses sound good with rounds but others just stupid clanky and turn to mud with the tone off but no thump...i need to explore rounds further, i started a thread on "smoothest rounds" in terms of finger feel and noise.

bobyoung53 and markob like this.
  5. Yeah you know, I was listening to some old bizkit, and the bass sure sounds like flats to me. Or, could be rounds with the tone knob off. I think the tone's off regardless, but sounds like flats to me most of the time anyhow.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Except!!! He changes his flats for every show so they're the brightes they can be. Which means a set of flats only has 2-3 hours of life for him. Thats the polar opposite anyone else uses flats for.
    He should have just used rounds....

ScotRFM and lowdownthump like this.
  7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    What about country bass players these days?

8. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Maybe he doesnt like the feel & finger noise of rounds?

dwm74, lowdownthump and Caca de Kick like this.
  9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    If I could only have one , I’d go for rounds. But since I have 3 basses, I keep rounds on my Stingray5 Special and Sire V3-5. My MusicMan Caprice P/H wears TI Flats.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. Those Chomes are bright out of the pack to me, almost like rounds to me.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  11. I'm using Chromes flats on my passive P since 6 months. I was thinking about getting some rounds, but I'm not sure. My bass sounds and feels so much smoother with flats, without unwanted noises when I slide over the strings, which is very important for me.
    But I miss that brightness and clarity the rounds cane give you, plus the way they interact with dirt pedals, which is very different.

12. Question about Country bass players these days? Most live Country shows I see there are always two basses, usually a P and a J, one with flats and one with rounds. Don't do country in studios so don't know about what's used there. I do have a question that may be fit to print in this post. I find that some of my pedals do not respond to flats like they respond to rounds. That's annoying but might be normal. I don't know. My compressor doesn't do much of anything with flats but sounds nice with rounds. My Chorus however works evenly with both. The above comment mentions dirt pedals and flats. Anyone else notice this oddity?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't but I don't use a comp.

14. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    I've only got one P, so I struggle going back and forth between flats and rounds. Right now, she's got rounds, and I think I prefer that sound a little over the flats, but not by much. Long story short, I need a second P to sport flats so I have both. One day...

markob likes this.
  15. That's that reason you need two P-basses; one with rounds and one with flats. With that said, my P with flats (Chromes if anyone's interested) mostly lives in my living room. It sound super sweet to just noodle on by myself, while the P with rounds mostly lives in my rehearsal studio.

16. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I guess what bothers me about flats is that they don't feel as flexible as rounds. When I play, I am a bit expressive with the notes. I like to add a touch of vibrato, and sometimes I pull a note sharp and chop it off mid note. Something I copied from one of my heroes, Geddy Lee. I can't get that effect from flats. They just feel slippery and roll under my fingers when I try to shake the note into vibrato.

If someone can explain to me how I can shake a flatwound string, I'd be happy to learn.

markob likes this.
  17. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Some flats are more slippery than others. Whereas Chromes are really smooth, EB's Cobalt flats have a tack to them, perhaps enough that if you got those in a slightly lighter/lower tension gauge (45-100 or 40-95?) you may be able to shake them.

18. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    On my '76 (with '62RI pu) I have a set of Chromes that are at least 3 years old. All of that upfront brightness Chromes are known for has totally mellowed out leaving great sounding punchy fundamental. I have no plans for taking them off anytime soon.

I keep my P build ('63 AVRI body, Warmoth neck, Aguilar 60 pu) strung with rounds. I use several, with my current favorites Dean Markley nickels. I'm really liking these. DR Blues, SIT and Dunlop take their turns as well.

If I decide to drop in some flats here my choice is GHS Precision flats. I find them to be the best balanced overall for most of my basses. I always keep some Chromes handy just in case...

markob and CunniMingus like this.
  19. I use Chromes too. Like I said in my previous post, I prefer the feel and the overall sound of flats all day every day. Not to mention the freedom of doing horizontal movements without hearing that string noise that bothers me. The only situations where I'd like to have rounds is when I need a very bright, almost hi-fi sound typical of active basses (which I don't use at the moment) or Jazz basses, which are usually brighter compared to P basses.
    I'm recently experimenting with some pedals in order to get that kind of tone with my P w/flats and I've got great results using both a Diamond Bass Comp Jr and Barber Linden EQ. Since I run a Nano+ board I'll be forced to choose one of the two but they both work well for that application. If everything goes well, I'll keep using flats with my P and maybe get another bass later.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why bother? Do as you wish.