1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's gone back to rounds on their P-types or never left?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markob, Nov 23, 2018.

1. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Add me to the list of those who went rounds-to-flats and never looked back.

Started off with Chromes about 8 yrs ago, changed to Fender's version of them (9050 ML) and stuck with those.

Every now and then I'll think about trying rounds again but never long enough to actually do it.

grrg63 likes this.
  2. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    you could have both, its all good either way

3. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    A few years ago i bought a ‘57 avri P, that came with a fresh sounding set of rw strings,and they sounded decent.
    I put a set of chromes on it,and thought, “now thats the way this bass should sound”!
    I recently did the same with a GL LB-100. It sounded way too razor-y for my taste with the factory D’Addario nickle rw strings. (Can’t even imagine how SS RW would sound).
    I once again put a light set of chromes on it,and it suits the bass’ sound so much better, for what i want at least. I find the chromes very versatile actually, with the treble control full on gives a clank-with-spank sound rivaling the cutting power of rw strings,and rolling off the treble gives full thumpiness which RW strings don’t possess. I have 2 Rickenbackers and an Epiphone Embassy Pro for my RW string sounds.

4. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I still use rounds on a few ( La Bella rx) flats can be a hit or miss for me however these days my #1 usually has La Bella LTF , these are the best flats I have found in all my years , they have somewhat "normal" top-end response and feel fantastic . So the bass has the best of both worlds , flat toans and vibe with nice clear top end , not that typical thuddy muted sound . Try some LTF's peeps

woodyng2 likes this.
  5. Yes. I used to use GHS Brite Flats exclusively until I read an interview with Geddy Lee and he talked about his Rotosounds. Never went back. Too dead sounding for me, even in a lighter gauge. Love my rounds.

6. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I like how both rounds and flats sound on my p-basses. But the decision on what they get is ALWAYS based on how they sound in the FOH mix. Always.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  7. picker1974

picker1974

Feb 5, 2012
    I like them both and switch back-and-forth according to my mood or what type of music I’m playing. When I play metal I like rounds because they’re just more aggressive sounding. I like the flats when I play Christian music in my worship team because they’re less aggressive and warmer sounding. I would actually like to have two identical basses, one with rounds and one with flats.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    I've got two P-basses, a '62 and a Warmoth/Fender Frankenbass. The '62 likes rounds - I've tried several kinds of flats on it (La Bella, D'Addario and GHS), but for some reason the bass just doesn't really sing with them. DR Lo-Riders are on it currently. The Warmoth has 16 year old Lakland Joe Osborne flats, which have gotten better over time, maintained their intonation and not unwound at all. It is an ace recording bass, but somehow it doesn't kill live. The '62 is just magic in any situation.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    woodyng2 likes this.
  9. Noutch Dawgg

Noutch Dawgg

Feb 15, 2016
    Can anyone recommend a set of strings for the p bass that have the correct winding length for the e string, after doing a bit of research it turns out that the string manufacturers have changed the winding length to accommodate the modern bass, with different tuning alignment and string through design, I bought these fender 34"long scale bass strings for my 34" long scale p bass in the hope that they would fit, but as you can see from the pictures there is still a problem with the e string, I have used spacers at the bridge to eliminate the thick part of the e string from wrapping around the tuning peg that causes the string to sit at an incorrect angle on the nut, this doesn't seem to bother some people but for me it does, the thick part of the string isn't meant to wrap the peg. Cheers DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0001.JPG

10. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    A longer bridge would fix like a Badass or Hipshot kickass

Noutch Dawgg likes this.
  11. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    9050s were my favorite flats too when I used them. Very bright sounding, great for funk.

12. McMoore

McMoore

Sep 20, 2018
    USA
    Horses for courses is right.
    I use two of each P's in my project studio and work for publishers doing songwriter demos and my own songs.
    Depending on the track I have:
    '59 Custom Shop Precision with Curt Mangan Flats 45-105 with foam under bridge.
    '62 Reissue Precision with LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats 49-109 with foam.
    '74 modified Precision with Lindy Fralins and Orange Drop with GHS Boomer Rounds 45-105.
    '51 custom build Precision with Dean Markley Will Lee 47-107 Rounds.
    All lefty.

13. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Even better for Metal! ;)

grrg63 likes this.
  14. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    I was born a lazy man and I'll die a lazy man, most likely with the same set of flats on my PJ

grrg63 likes this.
  15. localghost

localghost

Dec 31, 2017
    Austin
    Rounds on P-bass forever.

16. TravStaff

TravStaff

Mar 9, 2016
    i tried flats on my P bass for that Steve Harris sound but didn’t keep them long. Just didn’t like the tone much.

17. bbh

bbh

Sep 27, 2011
    i only use my 5 string deluxe p-bass for recording as the neck is to big to bother w on gig.
    Currently loving the RX light gauge on this and a few other axes. they are round, i believe.
    Labella Rx strings. Better than most high end strings. Uncompromised tone, well balanced unlike most 5 string sets that I know of. If you read up, the thinner b string is now the same volume as all the other others.
    The only downside is adjusting b string technique due to it being so balanced.
    For 4 string, enjoy the feel and tone. Maybe there are YouTube’s of them.

Now go take that spacer off the e string at the ball end and wind that string as normal.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  18. I borrowed a (fretless) P bass from a friend, equipped with rounds. I know a fretless sounds completely different compared to my standard/fretted P bass but I can definitely hear a brighter tone. But it feels... really weird. :roflmao:
    When you're accustomed to flats it feels weird to touch those rough things, honestly.

19. Joe6Bass

Joe6Bass

Sep 27, 2017
    Long Island
    I've always played rounds... I've had a J-Bass for 22 years and a Yamaha TRB-6 for 23 years... I just bought my first Fender P-bass a few months ago, and my most string change last week was to D'Addario Chrome Regular Light Flats (45/65/80/100) and they were surprisingly bright to me -- not like rounds, but not the "thud" I was expecting either. I've got DR High Beams on the J, and even after three months, I think they're still too bright without enough midrange. So far, I'm a fan of the flats, but like others have said, different basses for different styles...

CunniMingus likes this.
  20. davidt54

davidt54

Feb 3, 2012
    When I finished a Custom Fretless P-Bass with Warmoth Neck and GFX body, I tried Kailum roundwounds. Very nice strings but they didn’t ring true for me. I then tried LaBella Flatwounds. Again, nice strings but they didn’t feel right. Then I tried LaBella Tapewound . . . Eureka!!! The perfect blend of round and flat wound! They may not work on other basses but I won’t hesitate to try them.

markob likes this.