1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's gone back to rounds on their P-types or never left?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markob, Nov 23, 2018.

1. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Flats on my Ps!
    Rounds on my Js!

chris_b likes this.
  2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I ended my statement with a question to other posters who use flats. I'm perfectly capable of doing what I want.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  3. brainiac

brainiac

Oct 4, 2005
    Been using RotoSounds for 40+ years. When I recently bought a new MIM 50s Classic Series Precision, it came with Fender nickle-plated light-medium .40 gauge strings. They were fine, but I ordered the exact same set just in a regular .45 weight and swapped out. I don’t think the Fender roundwounds are quite as dynamic as Rotos, but they’re pretty good strings. Mainly, I’m just so floored by the bass itself that I have a hard time putting it down! But, yes, roundwounds for me!

markob and alaskaleftybass like this.
  4. rholler

rholler

Sep 24, 2010
    I've *always* used "rounds" on my electric basses (currently 4), at least since the early 70's when I switched over to "country" and heard my first P-Bass with GHS Boomers! I also love the sizzle and the piano-like metallic sound. About that same time, a fellow bass player turned me on to GHS Pressurewounds, and I've never looked back!!

markob likes this.
  5. Went back to RW on the p bass in my avatar, and changed back to flats on my 4001. Happy with both.

6. searayus1

searayus1

Apr 21, 2011
    Longwood, Fl
    I have always played flats. I just got a Rick 4003 which I put LaBella low tension flats. Bad idea! Rattles and vibrations were horrible! My mistake was changing out to those LaBellas before sending it in for a complete setup. Probably could have saved $55..So it's back to rounds for this one. All my others have flats.

7. have never used flats. played some on a Bass at a shop once, felt weird. have never tried tapewound either, just haven't had a reason. am thinking about trying some DR black beauties, but only because that's what Geezer has always used and I'm a huge Geezer fan (he's the reason I play Bass).

8. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Flats were on the middle and high school P basses.
    It's probably why I don't like flats, or wood bats.

davidt54 likes this.
  9. bbh

bbh

Sep 27, 2011
    I moved to labella rx strings w light gauge b string. Finally the b is the same volume as the others. Of course technique must be adjusted as the b was always louder on all my axes.

10. I started with rounds, but flats just feel nicer. Bright sounding enough too if you dime the tone knob :)

11. So, tape wounds are rounds with a flat plastic wrap?
    I remember something like that.

12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Rounds for me. If I want to get a more flat tone, I use a low pass filter and roll back the highs.

13. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

May 19, 2010
    Exeter, NH
    I don't like flats on my P bass. It's good for Motown covers and stuff, but in my band's music it just comes across as very dull and nondescript. I like to go for a cheeky fill from time to time and with flats it sounds almost comically polite. I do love flats on a Stingray though, and find it to be a happier pairing. But I think with my Ray I'm always sort of larping as Bernard Edwards, whereas with my P I'm more just "me" and I need it to accommodate my natural way of playing more.

14. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    IMHO, P basses sound best with rounds (Dunlop Nickel Super Brights), 5 strings, and a 3 band Nordy preamp. Vintage with some inyerface and angry when I need it.

15. Agreed...flats work the best for me.

gelinas666 likes this.
  16. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I only ever used rounds on the 4 string P bass I bought in 1969. The dynamics of new rounds worked well on that bass.

There were rounds on my Lull PJ5 when I bought it, and I thought it sounded great. Then a friend bought a Lull P5 and it sounded better!! After a lot of searching I discovered the difference was his bass had a set of flats on. I put flats on mine and the improvement in tone just left me speechless. The PJ5 is staying with flats and my Jazz is doing all the dynamic, active stuff.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My first P bass came with flats. I tried rounds for a while in the '70s but that didn't stick so I went back to flats and later switched to nylon tapes.