1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's "gone mini" and went back to a bigger rig again.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Apr 1, 2009.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    So, with mini/micro heads and cabs all the rage, has anyone tried it and gone back to a larger rig again?

2. While the new small heads sounds just as good to me as similarly rated larger, heavier heads , cabs are a different story IMO. That is just physics.

I spent quite a few years back in the day with high quality 210's to try to keep the weight down, and always felt a bit of compromise. Now that there are very lightweight 212 and 410 cabs, I feel no need to go with a small, thin sounding cab not 'completely up to the gig', so I'm back to playing light but full-size cabs for the most part.

3. I am in this boat. I completely downsized within a year from a Megoliath 8x10 to a Goliath 4x19 to an Avatat 210 + 112 and feel the need for at least a 6x10.

Portability does not always give you enough volume, unfortunately.

4. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    "Mini" is pretty subjective. If you're carrying more than 1 small cabinet I don't think its really mini anymore. IMO.

There are lots of compromises made with smaller cabinets. I've run single 10s and 12s for portability with a Mesa Scout head, and learned to live with the FOH subs carrying the bass where the cabs couldn't. I went to a 212 cabinet as a compromise, and while I liked the Scout, there isn't a lightweight head that can do what my Mesa BB750 does with power and tone. But that's just availability. No real other reason why I wouldn't prefer a smaller version of the same tone.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    while I still have a pair of Peavey 1820 cabs sitting in storage if'n I need more than my little 2x12" cab... I can't stop obsessing over the vintage Bag End 2x15" cab that is in the classified section :smug:

6. I have - I went from a rig with a heavy 4x10 + 1x18 down to a 1x12 back to an even heavier 4x10 + 1x18. The 1x12 made pleasant sounds and was a delight to move but it wasn't what I wanted to hear. Plus, at 38 I think I still have some hauling left in me!

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    since 1969, i have always used huge and heavy tube bass rigs (i.e Sunn 2000S, acoustic 370/301, Sunn Coliseums, and Ampeg SVT's). four years ago i tried to incorporate the new technology and got a few somewhat lighter-weight solid state heads (an Eden WT550B , a Genz Benz GBE-600 and a featherweight Euphonic micro 300 bass). I modded two of my Hartke transporter 2-10 cabs with neo 2510's and added a x-over and horn (these cabs only weigh 25 lbs each!).

even though the lightweight rig sounds incredibly good, i'm now back to playing thru an SVT with either an, a 6x10, an 8x10 or my modded 1970 V4 cab (with four 2512 neos). somehow, for me, nothing compares to a big heavy tube bass amp with a large cab.

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    +1... I tried to be happy with 210s, but they never really felt adequate. So, now I rock 212s.

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I went from lugging a 2x15 cab loaded with JBL's E140's and a 30 lb rack to a Schroeder 15+ and a Carvin BX500 ( also tried the LMll w/ a Schro 1210 ). Sold all of that and now I'm about to go back to a lighter rack of the new Carvin power amp ( 16 lb) BBE BMaxT and a Carvin Ls1503 cab. Not exactly full circle, but getting there!

10. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I went from a schroeder 212L back to my large and heavy peavey 2x15. I duno, i just prefer the tone of the peavey much better for what im playing, nothing against the schroeder cab, which was top notch.

11. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I picked up a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and NEOX-212T cab. The head was very nice but didn't really do it for me, so my GBE-1200 is still it. However, I did love the NEOX cabs enough to buy 2 (and sell my 100 lb 410 :)).

12. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Still using two 1x10s 90% of the time ...

But testing a new prototype 4x10 the other day we set it on top of the 1x15 and fired it up with a Mesa BB750 ... OMG :eek:

:) ... I Understand why you guys love the BIG rigs!

13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been using the same Schroeder 410R for the last year and a half (give or take), which is a relatively small size, but certainly isn't light enough to be considered mini.

As far as heads are concerned, I went from a GK 2001RB to a GK MB2-500 to an Aguilar DB750. The 2001RB and the DB750 weigh roughly the same (although no one seems to complain about the 2001RB weight like they do the DB750... hmmm...) and are both definitely heavy heads. The MB2-500 was cool and I'd still be using it if GK hadn't sent it to the wrong address at my old office. I've yet to make it out there and pick it up... sigh...

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I went from a 410/210 to a neo loaded 212, then, (now), a Mesa Deisel 215. My amps have always been big and heavy, 'cept for a Walkabout, but big cabs rule. Light weight cabs are awesome, but they don't measure up to the big'uns.

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I went from the Shuttle 6.0 to a Mesa 400+. While the sound is good with the shuttle, it's just not the same. It can't touch the tubes.

I do use a Neopak as my porta-rig, however, and it's very nice. Good to be able to carry everything in one or two trips as opposed to 3-4. Neopak in bag + bass in one trip, cab in another. Cab in the same trip if someone can help me with one side of it :)

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Went from a Markbass Mini CMD121P combo to a vintage SVT/810 or a B-15N with two cabs. Still got the LMII, though...great amp, very much in the Ampeg camp IMHO. But with bass, there's just no sub for big. That's why so many people with small cabs use two of them.

17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I've had two MB CMD121P combos in the last two years or so.

They met most, but not all, of my needs and I keep hovering btw. mini and small-medium rigs.

I have a Bergantino AE112 due today and an EA iamp 800 due next week. I'm hoping one will be enough with that head. If not, I will likely sell the head for something a else a bit smaller and get a second AE112.

A single AE112 with the 500W from my head should very easily cover 90-95% of what I do. That 5-10% always bugs me though.

18. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I was forced a while back to sell all of my ultralight Genz Shuttle / NeoPak / Neox gear. I now play a Carvin B1500 into either a GK SBX410 cab or a Carvin LSx1503. Now, I do use an Acoustic Image Contra combo and a Carvin BRX10.2 cab for smaller gigs, but the B1500 and one of the larger cabs gets 90% of my use now.

I do miss the easy portability of my Shuttle gear, and it served me very well. This B1500 just kills though, and I find it very difficult to consider leaving it at home.

Cheers,
    Liam

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I understand that there's probably more of a difference between "mini" cabs than "mini" heads. I occasionally would like to have a bigger cab, but my gigs are generally PA supported and we all go direct to keep stage volume down and the FOH mix clean. I get my "umph" from the PA I guess.

My only non-PA gigs are jazz combo gigs and that's just background music at restaurants and my little combo has always been loud enough. Maybe not as full as a bigger cab, but no one is complaining.

I have to admit I love the sound when I plug into a bigger rig at a store.

20. I'm trying to do this right now. My main rig has been a Markbass LMK into either a 1x10 cab or a 2x10 cab. I'm in the process of going back to a rack setup and probably a 2x12 or a 4x10 cab. I'll keep a little cheapo combo for the small gigs and rehearsals.