Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's got a Brubaker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Oct 13, 2002.

1. I'm home for fall break now, and we all know what that means: trip to guitar center! I was expecting just the usual Fender and Warwick fare, but much to my surprise there were 2 Brubakers in stock. I played the 5, and it was pretty snazzy. The B string was the first I've ever been satisfied with, and the low action made for almost effortless playing, although the spacing might have been too wide for my small hands. Too bad the Bartolini electronics are waaay too mellow for me.

Well, anyway, sound off and post a pic of yours if you've got one. I know BJ plays one...

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    oh, boy!! i keep hearing great things about Brubakers- now im gonna have to check one out- i HATE this!! i dont wanna have to get another bass!!;)
    i did hear Doug Wimbish at NAMM 2000 playing one and it did sound very, very nice
    its Brad's favorite bass- -- look at Brads collection... enough said.

3. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I got a 4-string NBS-Xtreme a few weeks ago and am totally blown away by it. The attention to detail is amazing, right down matching the fingerboard to the body stain.

I've never been a fan of Bartolini pickups, since the ones I'd tried/owned always seemed to "polite" for me. The Dual-coil soapbars in the Brubaker have *THE* tone. Everything from an angry Wal-meets-Kubicki growl to a thuddy P-Bass, and everything in between. Maybe you tried one with the J-Bass pickups?

(I like the sound so much that I'm having the Bart system installed in my Curbow/Ripley 5-string tomorrow...)

The Brubaker is the first bass in a long time to get me away from composite necks and I don't regret it a bit. The action is as low as my all-graphite Status and with the unique neck joint, no movement!

The market has some killer deals on Brubakers right now, I think because the name isn't as well known as some of the other builders *yet*, but I'd put these basses up against anything else out there and feel confident that it will do just fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. i tried one with soapbars. ok, to be fair, there was a setting or two that i stumbled across that was nice and punchy, and maybe i misspoke in saying "waaaay too mellow." just a little too dark, most of the time. then again, maybe it was just the amp, or maybe i'm just spoiled. :)

but it certainly was interesting to play - the first bass I've experienced with low enough action to do some mega tapping, even though i don't think i'd ever use that technique.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well- i just browsed the Brubaker site- it seem he may no longer be ofdfering the bass i liked- i belive it ewas called a Lea 5? - i have to check these out at NAMMM- im not crazy about the body lines, but i realize its about tone, not looks- Brad should be around soon- he can give much more insight here.

6. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yeah- i missed the "X" - cool, ill look into it- A

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been so busy trying to save the world from non-musicians (drummers and rappers) that I missed something important;)

DHC, those two basses arrived at GC last week. The five string is Ash and like most Brubakers the electronics aren't exactly intuitive but once you understand them they have a ton of flexibilty. Those are quad coil Barts and you can switch between inner coils, outer coils and humbucking with the toggle switch. The volume is closest to the bridge and you can pull it for passive operation. then you have stacked bass and treble, a two position mid pot and panpot.

I tried both basses at the store through their rigs and as nice as they're supposed to be (big SWR, GK, etc. rigs) they don't hold a candle to my budget rig. I played both of those basses through my rig and they were excellent. The lightweight all-Pawlonia 4 was sweet. Either is very capable of getting aggressive. My NBS 5 set flat has snap and growl for days.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It's still for sale and she's flexible on the price. It's an earlier bass with Lane Poors and a 2Tek bridge, Kevin reshaped and refinished the neck, it's Maple with a black satin finish and a Wenge fingerboard.

She took it to Atomic Music and let several people play it. It was pretty funny, the most common comment was that the bass was too fast:)

10. Not to knock you, dude, but you use a Reverend. A friggin' Kubicki would sound "dark" to you. :D

11. jtd125

jtd125

Mar 16, 2002
    Agoura Hillis, CA
    how much do those go for?

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Kevin will still make Lexa models. The friend of mine mentioned here that has the Lexa 5 is selling it to order a singlecut K5B with f-hole. MY current bass is an NBS and the one I ordered is a K5B, with wood from Ben (Thanks, Adrian;)).

Scott (berklee46), funkycarnivore, Peter Romano (PJR) and myself all have NBS models. Kevin Walker, who plays with Najee, has a few. He also has a killer NBS Custom fretless 5 on consignment here for sale at Atomic Muisc ($1749). A buddy of mine is trying to wheel and deal on that one, it's the first fretless I've played that competes with my Zon Legacy for versatility... it slaps as well as it fingerstyles. Sweet.

I've ordered two basses from Kevin, the first is the singlecut Spalted Maple topped 5, the second I still haven't decided on, we're looking for some nice top woods and fretboards (any specimens that you don't want, A?). The idea is that he's going to pull out all the stops on the one he's making me, I already have one I love, this one will be a "statement:" bass. The next will most likely be a fretless.

I think he's going to blow up and I want to get mine before he does.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I grin like a dang fool every time I play mine. It's so effortless to play I sometimes can't believe it myself and I've gigged with it for quite a while now. Last weekend I played at a college and after the show I got lots of compliments on my growl. Surprised the heck out of me that people noticed.

The K5B singlecut 5 should be nuts.

I've never played a bass nicer for me than my current NBS Custom 5. I think because of that, the bodystyle has grown on me immensely. I play with almost Willis-like action and the sound just jumps out of the bass.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    BTW Scott, the two at GC are the Pawlonia-topped 5 you got pics of and the all Pawlonia 4 string. They said the 4 weighed 7 pounds, felt like less to me. It certainly didn't sound like a light bass though.

15. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    [​IMG]

Brad, Kevin told me last week that this 5 had sold, so I scrapped my plans to get one (for now) and am getting what I call the "Brubaker" pickup/preamp combination installed into my Curbow/Ripley 5.

Maybe he just sold it to GC - I thought it was off the market.

Either way, I know this purple one won't be my last Brubaker. It's just a matter of paying the morgage this month, or buying yet another bass!

16. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I'm sold on 'em !!! :)

[​IMG]
    The NBS 5'er I had...

[​IMG]
    The NBS-1 custom I still have.

Very playable basses !!!

PJR

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Scott, it's one of the two basses that were at GC in Fairfax, VA last week. I don't know if they're still there, probably worth a call if you're still interested. GC bought two basses and three guitars from him.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    BTW here's mine.

[​IMG]

19. that's the GC i'm talking about, i'm sure they're still there. i'll be there in about, oh, 30 minutes so i'll check for you.

20. yep, still there