Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's got a GlockenKlang???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 16, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Ok, so we all know of the mystique...

but who actually owns and gigs with one? is the tone really all that, a bag of doritos, 2 Big Mac's, a sack of White Castle, and a medium Coke? ;)

i heard they make an incredibly light 2x12 that's like 40 lbs.!!! can this be true? something with that awesome tone, all with the weight of a 1x12?

...faints...

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Ja! Jawhol. ist nicht mein unterztanding dat
    Glockenlangen maken der guten-soundingen
    amplifier-headen mit dein awsummen gespeaker cabinetzen - und iss alzo mit dein "Combo-ampen"
    playen grosse guten bass-sound.
    Nott knowenn iffen zein "2x12en" is ge "40-lbs"
    Ist verry litten iffen iss truen.

Ja, I haff playeden throuen de Glockenlang"-
    Dein "Soul"
    Mighty guten tag sounds fer der Fender Bazzen!
    Costen ein zillion deutchemarks, ach du lieber,
    butten...
    Ist dein good schnittzen!

Guten Tag, & auf weiderscheen.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I see that I'm not the only one who took my Crazy Pills today... :D

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Pills..... what pills?

VAS IS LOSS MIT DAT?!?

Is this a serious "forum" here"

O mein gott!:cool: :D :p

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've never played a Glockenklang, but, oddly enough that is the exact sound my old 4x10 cab made when it fell down a flight of metal stairs.

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    :(

What have I done to offend you?:( :oops:

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ROFL, great The Great Dictator adaptation. :D

I know Matthias here has a 2x12 cab he likes very much.
    I've played their gear numerous times, but unfortunately I don't have any money for new gear, so I don't actually own one.
    I wish I had one or two Take Fives or the "budget" version, the Quattro.
    www.glockenklang.de

The cabs and amps sound great, very clean, with really faithfull reproducton of your bass's sound.
    If you want to use your amp as a soundtool, like with a SVT, Glocks won't be for you. They're designed to color the bass sound as little as possible.
    Most German Bass makers use them as their reference amps, e.g. at Musikmesse.

But you can also get a cool overdriven sound from some Glock amps, e.g. the Heartcore, even thought it's solid state.

Tech Soundsystem also makes very, very good cabs which are also very light, since the use neodymium magnets for their speakers.

www.tech-soundsystems.com

8. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I see someone else learned their German on Hogan's Heroes like I did:D :eek: :D

9. PABass

PABass

May 20, 2001
    Allentown, Pa
    You may want to try calling the guys at Bass Palace,Scranton, Pa. \They have one which I tried and they're trying to get rid of it, it was just a bit too expensive for me. It sounded absoluteley gorgeous though!!

10. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Funny thing is, in the service waaaaaay back, I was stationed in Fountainbleu, France.
    I traveled a bit through Germany, Bremen,
    Garmische, the Schwartzwalde....
    Beautiful country...great beers.
    Never could learn much German other than stuff like
    "needle-dick the bug-f****er," etc.

mais le francais- c'est different- Je parle francais tres bien!

Hey is there ANY French bass gear??

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sorry if my responses came off as attacks. They weren't meant as such. I was just joking around. I actually thought both posts were very funny.

12. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Danke Schoen
    &
    Merci beacoups!

:) ;) :)

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    de nada :D

14. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes I have the Glockenklang 2x12 (called 'Double') and I'm still happy.
    I also submitted a review here at TB.

Some facts for clarification (and 'excuse' why I use such snobby gear ;))

Yes it is very light (though not 40lbs): 64lbs.
    But as JMX stated there is a 212 by Tech Soundsystems and this one actually weighs no more than 40lbs.

The 'Double' is part of the cheaper 'Bassware' line and costs less than 410's by Ampeg, Eden, SWR here in Europe. (Most their other stuff is nearly unaffordable even here in Europe...)
    And regarding faithful sound reproduction: If you put in dirty rock sounds this is what comes out of the cab - faithfully reproduced :D

Bottom line: I got a cab which is lighter and cheaper than the 'standard solution' (=410) and sounds excellent. Some or maybe most 410's may be a bit louder, but I don't need this extra volume.

Matthias

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ROFL, you guys are hilarious! :D :D

...crazy pills.. oi...

16. Kawika007

Kawika007

Apr 10, 2001
    Houston, TX.
    Check out LarryJ's response to anyone playing a Glockenklang ! Simply a riot ! You gotta pass this on to everyone you know who plays bass.

17. Translation back to English:

Yes! Jawhol. is not mine unterztanding dat bell-long maken that good soundingen amplifier headen with your awsummen more gespeaker cabinetzen - and eats alzo with yours "Combo ampen" playen large good sound of bass. Nott knowenn iffen zein "2x12en" is ge "40-lbs" are verry suffered iffen eat truen. Yes, I haff playeden throuen de Glockenlang "- your" Soul "Mighty good day sound more fer the fender Bazzen! Costen zillion deutchemarks, oh you rather, butten... Is yours good schnittzen! Good day, & on weiderscheen.

18. I'll have a glockenklang 2x12 in a few hours :D :D

Those cabs are awesome

19. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I don't have a Glockenklang cab, but I do use the Heartcore head. It really does just amplify the sound of the bass and also allows you to tweak the tone VERY selectivly. I'm using it with an older Epifani 2x12 and have no desire to get anything else - once you have the best, why try something else.

I used to use an Alembic F1-x/power amp combo and my basses all sounded similar. With my current combo my wife can tell which bass I'm playing when she is not in the room!

Dan K

20. As Matthias pointed out, Glockenklang gear is actually quite reasonably priced in Europe compared to some of the imported stuff. My Soul head was far cheaper than any 'comparable' Eden, EA iAmp or whatever. So Matthias, no need to apologize. Having good gear isn't snobbish. Or else, all of us here are snobs. :D

As to the Soul head: There is nothing magic about it; it is simply a good amp. I was attracted by its simplicity. Yet, everything is functional: the mute button which activates the tuner out, the DI with adjustable level, an effective EQ, enough power for monitoring purposes. Just what I need.

And the sound is simple too: your bass with clarity and balls.

Mark