1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's got a Macbook? (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ROON, Mar 19, 2008.

1. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    How do you like it?

Does it ever feel like it's running out of juice? I'm planning on getting one pretty soon, mainly for Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign work. Just wondering if it is capable of doing some fairly complicated graphics work. Wait, what am I talking about. It's a Mac, of course it can. ;) Seriously though, I've heard a few (admittedly very few) complaints about it sometimes lagging and running slow. With 2GB of ram and a Core 2 Duo I wouldn't expect it to run slow though.

By the way, what are the speakers like? I like to listen to music when I'm doing my work. Is it worth investing in a good set of headphones?

2. i have one, works great only problem is small HDD and that there is something wrong with mine but i use photoshop a lot and works great. It can run slow if you overestimate its power it is fast but not that fast.

as for music do you have an mp3? i find listening to music through my ipod sounds 2x better than through the computer and the speakers are horrible and should only be used to hear the little tones msn and the like give out.

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I do have an MP3 player. I'll just use my headphones. I have a shared folder with all my music on my PC, so I can listen to it wherever I am in the house. Like in the kitchen through our internet radio, through my Xbox, through my mum's PC. :) So I don't need any HDD space for music. I'll really only be using it for net browsing and graphics, so the 120 (or 160? :confused: Can't remember) GBs should be enough.

4. epy

epy

Jun 15, 2006
    i've got a pro and i couldn't be happier with it. the speakers are decent i do own a pair of moniters and a pair of akg headphones for whatever situation though. i use it photoshop on it occasionally and its fast. you really can't go wrong with getting a mac. especailly with the newer ones they're selling.

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Bumpy bump...

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, if it's a 2,4GHz C2D, I doubt it would run out of juice any time soon.

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    The only thing I might recommend if you're doing graphics work on large files is to buy 4GB replacement RAM once you have it. You can buy 4GB (2GB x 2) for $80 at Newegg.com .

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I have one, I like it a lot.
    Like others said buy more ram from an outside dealer (I got mine from www.crucial.com)

9. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I have one for work. I've had some slowness when working on multiple applications (one often being statistical software) but in general I don't have a problem with the speed.

Can't comment much on the speakers, as I generally use headphones. Built in speakers are not great for music, but passable I guess...I'd get some good headphones if you really want to listen.

If you get one, close it softly! I already have some of the palm rest area chipping away due to closing it hard (I guess). My machine is pretty new, so under warranty still.

Marshall

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    BTW. I've downloaded your app. I love this thing. I play a lot of dub reggae. I've been using your app to help me pick out choice notes to make interesting lines. So instead of hitting the whole scale or typical reggae go to notes, I can pull from different areas of the scale. It's saved me a lot of noodling time. Just want to say thanks. :)

11. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    My MacBook Pro is 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 2Gb Ram.

Plenty of speed. Sure I can make it struggle if I want to - I've got a few physics simulations I run that can max out the processor for a few hours, and really need 4Gb of RAM (which I'll probably add sometime soon), but for regular stuff it flies.

(I still find Dashboard sluggish, but I hate it anyway - what a dumb clunky idea that was: lets build a completly seperate UI that is really limited, and works differently to the main desktop)

Ian

12. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Hey Maki, glad you like it! :D

I want to do more with it, but life keeps getting in the way.

13. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I personally agree with you on Dashboard, I don't use it at all. But, I know people who use the dashboard extensively, including my bass instructor. He has quite the setup of cool little music applets.

14. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Dashboard is the thing with all the widgets right?

Sorry, I know my way around Macs, but I know none of the terminology. :ninja: :help:

15. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You are correct.

16. I just upgraded from a 667mHz Titanium last week to a Black MacBook and couldn't be happier. This thing is FAST right out the box. I worried that the smaller screen would bother me... but the screen is beautiful!

I had a very large PhotoShop file opened and InDesign and Safari and Mail with NO problems. Money well spent. Do it, I think you'll be happy.

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'm running a 2.16 Core 2 Duo with only one gig of ram right now and Its still pretty quick. This thread convinced me to do a 4 gig upgrade and see what that does. I'll report back.

I'm not having problems with CS2 or Cubase 3 as it is...but faster is better!

:)