1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's got a NYE gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Paulabass, Dec 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Municipal NYE event

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Concert

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bar/nightclub

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Private party (paid)

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  5. Private party (unpaid)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Just seeing who's getting the work, and if my suspicion that NYE gigs just aren't what they used to be. It seems a lot of my friends are not playing tonite.
    I have a private party (paid) but I just came off a long hiatus, so I wasn't looking very hard.
    I should have added to poll- Couldn't find a NYE gig.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Other. I have nothing in the books until Feb.

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Every year, for the last five years. Sometimes they're at hotels overseas, sometimes they're in local niteclubs. There's always a party somewhere.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I would have voted no if there was that option.
    Roads are getting icy here so it's just as well...not so sure I even want to get
    out of the house tonight.
    Next gig is a couple of weeks away and have 14 on the calendar for 2018 so far.
    New custom molded IEM buds coming soon too!

5. Macch5

Macch5

Nov 8, 2014
    Hudson Valley
    I'm playing a jazz duet gig at a resturant but I'll be done by 11:00.

6. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    DJing from 5-8pm. All vinyl.
    Then, my band goes on from 8:45pm-12:15am.
    I’m basically putting in a full-time shift. But, it’s the most money I’ll be making on a gig in quite some time.

7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Paid private party at a ski resort we do every year. It's semi corporate, as it's the annual bash they throw for all their high rollers who pay $5000 a year to have their own private lodge hidden in the bowels of the resort. Best part is, it has its own private service elevator. One more booked at same resort in March, but in the public lodge, which will by my final gig with that particular band.

8. Macch5

Macch5

Nov 8, 2014
    Hudson Valley
    Hello to a fellow Hudson Valley resident!

Mvilmany and petrus61 like this.
  9. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Bar we’re playing for 2nd year in a row. We’ve played some private functions for their high rollers too.
    It’s a good crowd, they treat us really well, and it’s NOT on the strip so we don’t have to deal with the utter cluster%#*$ the LV Strip is on NYE.
    (Strip & surrounding roads are closed to traffic from 5pm and START reopening @3:30am.)

*(band is doing a red, black & white dress code, so figured I’d dress my Roadstar up for the evening!)

Attached Files:

rllefebv likes this.
  10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Jazz trio for me this year. Supper and a short dance. I was home by 9:30 and in bed by 11. Yea.... I'm an old man. I've played many, many NYE gigs from private parties, public events and outdoor things (yea, it gets cold in Ohio). I've loved 'em and I'm lovin' leavin' them. Let somebody younger do that stuff.

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Nothing for a few years. Fewer NYE gigs out there, and the ones that are there are not paying what they used to. It used to be worth being out there among the drunks and idiots.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  12. Other, for the first time in years I did not even go out. It got close to -20+ here last night. I ended up falling asleep before Midnight. Here's to a great 2018!

13. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Thankfully we were off. Brutally cold and really dangerous road conditions..
    2018 is looking good with a few good dates in the book already..

14. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    We played to a packed house. Bar gig. I will say it was kind of tough - I'm about 3 years free from the sauce - most of my friends were tanked and a beer or three would have been nice but... Nah.

San Diego has had a REALLY warm and dry winter so far. I don't know if that had anything to do with the vibe but it didn't feel like "New Year's". It was more like a chilly summer night with nothing but sloppy drunks everywhere. At the club we played, there were people passed out, fighting, and puking all before we hit the stage at 10:00 pm.

CaseyVancouver likes this.
  15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Played a wedding reception last night. My original band - great pay, food, booze and hotel rooms. Done at 12:20 am, and on the road home by 10am.

16. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Played two gigs on NYs. I have only missed a handful of NY dates in 45 years. The money I made went towards a guitar for my wife. Larrivee NGD for the wife - bass money well spent :)

I have played 3 gigs on a NYs in the past. The guitarist I played with had 4 gigs! (one got cancelled for him) He is a full time pro.

17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Double header for me. 4:30 - 8:30 at a retirement community (with a long break), then 9:30 - 12:30 at a house party. Both are jazz gigs. This is the third year of the same combination with the same bands. Both are within 10 minutes of my house.

I was exhausted, but everybody had a good time. If I can survive this, then I'm good for another year of regular playing. ;)

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    We played our usual bar. Packed house all night with a cover charge. It was a good gig!

We've been booked there every month for the last 6 years, and typically get first call for special events. We've done NYE the last 3 years there.

All of the more popular bands in the area had gigs last night.

19. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Only 9 hours to load out? ;)

Pacman likes this.
  20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Well, it was 20 below at the end of the gig. We used those hotel rooms to wait for warmer temps. (they didn't show up!)

Dave W likes this.