Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's got a source for med & short-scale basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thwackless, Nov 25, 2003.

1. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    I've been playing a US Standard Fender Jazz Bass, but a recent arm injury has prompted my search for a quality 32" or 30 1/2" scale bass. Anyone have a good lead on an item like this- short of Alembic? I may have to go back to an EB-0 type axe, which I don't mind, but I'm looking for "That one", with some nice detail in the tone. Yes, I want everything...

Thanks for your time,
    Rog (ex-"Stewbone"). :bassist:

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Are you thinking production basses or custom made?

You could get an old Fender Musicmaster.

If you have between $1200 and $2000, I know a luthier that can make you what you want.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Excellent choice!! This one's fitted out with a RavenLabs P-Retro electronics, (had to make a new pickguard), and pumps out thick, fat bass all day long...

[​IMG]

-robert

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Check your PM

AJ

6. Well, I know of one site, I think its landingguitars.com or something like that, but they have some cool shortscale bass, they call it the strat bass, I would get one, but I don't have $700 for a shortscale bass (hint hint rondomusic.com) sorry I am just anxious to find a shortscale bass at rondomusic.com!!
    Oh, and by the way, I don't know if they make them anymore, but the Fender Stu Hamm urge bass is 32" I was at a blues show and the bass player plays a urge II bass with eden cabs and amps it was a great sounding rig. I like the urge because it has two jazz pickups and one p-bass pickup in between them!!
    I like the musicmaster, but i can't get over the pbass pickup (i know, I'm vain) but I would buy it in a second if it had a humbucker or two jazz pickups in it!!
    Good Luck,
    Charlie

7. Well...while we're on this subject, I'm still wishing for a 30" scale SIX string bass guitar.
    The only one I've heard of here that was in definite existence was a Brubaker (which was reported to have a good "tight" low B! -but does anyone know of any others already successfully built? I'd prefer a single cut...
    Thanks!

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I'm having a 32" scale 6-string custom built, but my plans are to string it EADGCF.

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    When it comes to 32" scale basses (or just high-end, handcrafted basses in general), you'd be hard-pressed to beat the work of DHuff. Mike Brown of Browne Basses also makes a mean 32". Depending on your specific situation, a 32" may or may not do the trick. Personally, I think you'd like the feel and performance of a 32" better, but as was mentioned above, there are a lot of one-man-shop operations who could easily make you a shorter scale bass.

10. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    I played a Fender mustang and they seem like a nice short scale.

11. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    It seems like it's tough to find any to try sometimes. I played a used fender Musicmaster yesterday, butter-yellow w/ black pickgaurd--seemed ok. I own a gretsch synchromatic short scale single pick-up which can be had cheap on e-bay. but they aren't really very good. The dual pickup gretch model seems like a much better instrument--i played a new one in a store a year ago--much better construction and better neck. I currently GAS for an Epiphone Allen Woody Signature, but have never pjayed one--just can't find any around. all of these basses are in the $500 or less category.

12. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    When I grow up I want one of those D. Huff thingys. Sweeeeet.
    Dig the Brice. I'm an EB-o fan, but I think I'm going try a 32" scale if I can score one within my budget.
    I don't feel like less than a man,...I don't feel like less than a man,... I don't feel........:rolleyes:

Thummmmmmmmp!
    Rog.

Thanks, everybody!

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I know of a music store here in California that had a couple of Musicmaster basses. If you want, I can PM the name of the store to you and you can give them a call. I don't remember what the asking price was, but I believe that the basses had been sitting in the store for a very long time. So, they might be willing to bargain.

14. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Bob, that'd be great. That's the 32" model, yes? I'm not that familiar with the less popular Fender stuff. I appreciate the gesture, thanks.

Rog.

15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Sent you a PM with the information.

16. I'd say a Musicmaster, Mustang, or EB-0.

17. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Epiphone make a Flying "V" with a 30" scale.I think they have a few other models as well in the 30"-32" scale.Dean makes some nice ABG's with
    a 32" scale.:)

18. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Just got back to the library (where I do e-mail, etc) and I don't see a PM in my e-mail. Try again? I'm not real literate with the e-world, so maybe I'm missing something...

Thanks,
    Rog.