Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's got a zon hyperbass and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 29, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I understand that these are very versitile instruments I'd like to hear more about them like why you bought this bass and what sort of setting you use it in.

Why did you buy a four string bass with a huge neck when you could have got a 7 or 8 string for a lot less that would have had about the same range as the series 2 (With all the bell and whistles.)

Pics welcome and also like to hear from people who have hyperbass copys and how much they payed (If thats not breaching your privacy.)

Are there any other basses with all the tuning options the hyperbass has.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Triple octave neck, Bridge and Tuning Key Detuners, Baritolini electronis.

And I don't know...The fact that Zon makes some of the best Fretli, and basses period, on the planet.

Just maybe.

3. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    I think Embellisher has one...you should PM him about it:)

:EDIT: Yup...checked his Profile....... Zon 5

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    He has a Zon, but not a Hyperbass. Progplayer has a Hyperbass, I believe.

Comparing a 4 string Hyperbass with a 7, or 8 string is like comparing apples, and oranges. The option to detune mid-song (let alone the number of tunings available) puts the Hyperbass in a class by itself. It's not for everyone. Heck, it's not even for some. It's for a few. But, more power to 'em. :D

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I got a Zon, but not a Hyperbass. Those things scare me! I would get lost above the 22nd 'fret'!

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Don't the frets get a little bit hard to play when your above what would be 24th (Yes I know the hyperbass doesn't have frets), thats why I mentioned a 7 or 8 string because you can get the same sort of range with out playing 36th fret which to me seems hard not that i've ever played one.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have one and it's a MONSTER!!! I love it though eventhough I'll never use it to it's full potential... I found it at a killer deal and couldn't pass it up. Later, I spoke with Joe Zon and found out it's a one-of-a-kind bass... I definitely DO NOT gig with it!!!

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Is that the one with all the tuning things on it can't really tell from the picture.

How does it play does it have a thin neck (What some would call a fast neck).

What do the controls do vol,bass,treb?

Throw in as many pics as you've got if you don't mind it truely is a beautiful bass.

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Why on Earth would you not gig with it?

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yes, this is the version with the detunable keys and bridge..

The bass plays great!! To borrow from Jeff Berlin: "It's like playing in melted butter on a teflon surface in zero G".

The controls are a master volume, a blend knob and a "Q" knob

Here are a few more pics...

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here's one more pic...

12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Are you kidding?!?!? Can you imagine having something like that in club???? That would be like taking a Benz out off-roading!!!!

I guess under certain conditions I would gig with it. But in you average gig situation... definitely NOT!

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i wouldn't gig with it either...someone might expect something out of me...heck, i feel bad enough already having a 6 string and i can't play for poop... :D man, i need a squire to gig with

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    neptoon: Nononoon.. I NEED a squier to gig :D

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    how about an 8 string hyper bass(well, not a zon, but you get the picture :D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Dammit!!!!!!

Just couldn't resist could ya John!?!?

Gotta knock the shine off everyone else with those beasts of yours!!!

:p :D

They are very nice though... Wish you could have showed up for xush's Bass Summitt in Mobile...

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and you know what? those damn things are bigger in person... hee hee

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I've always admired your basses JT apart from your double neck because I just couldn't play something that might crush me :D . That hyperbass you have seem to lok alot more like a curbow than the hyperbass or do we put basses with 36 frets in the hyperbass catagory?

JT Whats your hyperbass tuned to I kind of get lost on what people have there strings at after the 6th one. Also do you think the extra strings give you more range than the zon hyperbass with all the tuner thingys.

Cheers

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The D-tuners really aren't about extending the range, they're about changing the intervals between the open strings. I doubt that a 4 string Hyperbass can touch Jt's fretless as far as range.

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Can anything touch jt's fretless in terms of range?