1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's got insurance?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Savino, Oct 16, 2004.

  1. Savino


    Jun 2, 2004
    I was wondering who has their bass insured. Any good advice on doing so, particularly in the NY area, would be appreciated. thanks
  2. NJL


    Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    call the local 802 or maybe even the AFTRA local
  3. anonymous0726

    anonymous0726 Guest

    Nov 4, 2001
    Get a hold of the ISB. Good, cheap plan.
  4. abaguer


    Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    AFM insurance. MusicPro is another which I have used if not a union member.
  5. Contra|Brett|


    Oct 6, 2004
    My parent's home owner's insurence covers my bass.
  6. Brian K

    Brian K

    May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    HED Insurance has a musical instrument specific policy. They charge annually a mandatory $10 for life insurance, $20 for liability insurrance (in case you or your bass cause injury or death. Really!) and $1.41 per $100 of instrument value.

    That's $141 for ever $10,000 of gear.

    That's all in Canadian funds. I don't know if they take American customers.

    It's covered against anything, as long as the location of the damage/theft isn't a business whose primary source of income is the sale of alchohol.

    Is that more or less than others are paying for their insurance?
  7. winston


    May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm insured with www.musicproinsurance.com. Haven't had to make a claim, but their CS is pretty responsive in answering questions/adding/removing equipment. Not sure how much they charge per $100, I think it's about $1.50. AFAIK most renters/homeowners policies won't cover equipment used to earn money.

    Coverage seems pretty comprehensive (includes books/papers and computers), although I think there's an exception for equipment left overnight in a vehicle, which could be a problem for traveling musicians. In any case, be sure to keep receipts, write down serial #s, get appraisals, and take pix of your gear.
  8. Monte


    Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    It is $1/ per $100 on my Music Pro Policy.

  9. C-bus


    Oct 12, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I have my insurance with the Merz-Huber Company based in PA. They were recommended to me by a friend who insured with them. She had to have work done and the company gave her no problems - I haven't had to make any claims yet :hyper: Their website is www.merzhuber.com/musical.
    The last time I reupped with them, they charged $0.55 per $100 for all equipment (bass, bows, trunk).

  10. Ed Fuqua

    Ed Fuqua

    Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Is there any kind of policy that covers "audience discomfort"?

    In other words, only for orchestral musicians?
  11. Mel Monihan

    Mel Monihan

    Mar 30, 2004
    I live in Florida, so I can't say for N.Y, but on my Allstate Floridian insurance, I was able to add my musical instruments and my wife's jewlery.Each item was covered up to $3000.00.I could have gone higher, but none of my basses are worth more than that.I told them I was semi professional (weekend warrior, right upfront).The additional covearge was $150/ yr.
    Someone already stated that you homeowners insurance will cover you at your house for loss or damage, but in Florida I was concerned with Hurricanes as well as theft.I do know that in the past some insurance companies would not cover professional musicians, but you should check with your homeowners insurance and be honest with them, they just may cover you.(now collecting may be a whole other ballgame, I have yet to make a claim).
  12. Adrian Cho

    Adrian Cho Supporting Member

    Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    The problem with HED is that little thing about the sale of alcohol. In other words, if you're playing jazz in a bar, you're not covered. I'm with Unity Insurance (based in Windsor, Ontario) and they have a special rate for AFM members. They are more expensive than HED but I've been extremely happy with their service.
  13. larry


    Apr 11, 2004
    If you are a homeowner, you can probably add a rider to your homeowner's policy. That's what I did, and it includes a "professional endorsement" covering me wherever I am. You could check with your carrier about adding it to renter's insurance if you don't own a home. Costs me about $70 a year to insure my bass for $4,000. Otherwise I would go through the AFM.
  14. Kat_Mia

    Kat_Mia Guest

    May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I have mine insured under the house insurance and for abroad travel for up £3000 (GPB). Not sure who it's with but we've got the certificates which I take with me and dates of travel when I go abroad.
  15. Robin Ruscio

    Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

    Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    i'm through merz huber- i just paid my policy, $331 for $44k worth of equipment, plus you have to be in the ISB ($50 a year). so a little less then $1/$100 covered if you add the isb membership. That includes bows, electric basses, and even my guitars (not amps though). All risk, which i think is a must have if you're going to get it covered. i think they have a minium to get that rate, so better if you have a serious amount of gear.
  16. klepto

    klepto Guest

    Nov 10, 2004
    i have had a policy through merz-huber since about '89 or '90
    during the summer of 2003, i was surprised that my premium had gone up to $250 from $100 for the $6000 my bass is insured for
    i previously had a bow insured also, and they paid me within about 30 days when it got knocked off a stand and the frog shattered

    i am not a member of isb
  17. Robin Ruscio

    Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

    Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    i think the way i signed up i got a certain rate for being the isb but perhaps you don't have to be although for what i've seen here it still sounds like a good deal. the contract was pretty explicit that i had to " be in good standing". though if anyone has something better . . .