Who's got the best B String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adam on bass, Sep 23, 2004.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    What bass company, in your opinion, has the tighest, most atriculate "B" string?

Name them.
  2. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Roscoe´s B strings are known to sound HUGE!!!
  3. I've heard their B is just crazy also.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've yet to hear a better B than on Status basses.
    Knucklehead basses must have a fantastic low B but I've yet to play one.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm completely satisfied with both my Benavente.
  6. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Hard to beat the 37" B scale of a Dingwall I would imagine.

That being said, the B string on my 34" scale Fodera sounds better and feels tighter than many 35" scale basses I've played. The B on my Benavante 219B is huge as well.
  7. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    Leland Sklar claims that Dingwall has the baddest b on the planet!
  8. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    He He - My 6-string 36" scale custom made bass :p
  9. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Roscoe and no other bass I have ever tried or owned even comes close!
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That I've played?

More or less in that order.

Never played a Dingy, so I can't say.
  11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Dingwall wins. =0)
  12. Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    My brother's custom made 6-string 36" scaled-wenge-and-purpleheart-necked-heavy-as-a-mother bass. :)
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, it's not a fair fight once you put the Dingwall's 37" B into the ring.

All have good solid B's, but as has been said, if you want a good, articulate, solid B, the Dingwall is the ONE.
  14. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

+1 :)
  15. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Everyone's always coming up with the same group of basses but, don't forget Sadowsky and Musicman basses. I'd throw the b string of my Mike Lull MV5 into this mix.

If your B string is "everything" we spoke about, clear, articulate etc., but doesn't sound like the rest of the strings or is punchier or too articulate or outta balance, what good is it?

Please let us know what type of music you play, live or memorex?, size of venues, what's your backline amplification both speakers and amp/preamp etc. Do you go through the PA too if live?

You can have the greatest B string but if you play if horrific acoustics, having more bottom may not be what it takes for a B string to sound good.

Appreciate your answering some of these qualifiiers but generally the basses everyone individually and Gard as a group mentioned, + I'd had good luck with the other ones, and oh yeah, G&L's are nice B strings too, especially for the money.

16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Possibly, but a solid, articulate, "great" B can be worked with, massaged. A crappy one can't.
  17. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
    Yes, a Dingwalls low B - the voice of God.
  18. Seconded. On many basses The B either stands out or drops out. I want it to seamlessly continue where the E ends. And I think G&Ls do this very well. In fact their B´s are among the best ones I have tried - although I must admit that my experience with high end custom instruments is very limited.
  19. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
  20. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've tried to point out before that "sounding articulate" and "feeling tight" are rather different things that may be working against each other--lighter guage strings tend to give a clearer sound while heavier ones feel tighter, for instance.

That said, I've owned lots of basses with great B's--Modulus, Curbow, Lakland, MTD, etc.--but the absolute best was a headless David King bass with a 36" scale wenge/purpleheart/ebony neck.