Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's got the sweet spot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Feb 3, 2004.

1. fender p-bass

23 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. musicman stingray

44 vote(s)
    52.4%
  3. other, please specify

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. neither / doesn't matter

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Who's got the sweet spot? Both the p-bass and the stingray appear to be predominant when talking about pickup placement. Please vote on your favorite and maybe give a little explination why. I know my favorite, but what's yours.

2. other, please specify............The Fender Jazz Bass pups are a sweet setup, IMHO.

The 75 reissue Jazz Bass has the Bridge pup closer to the neck pup and you can hear the difference compared to other 75 Jazz Basses. (I believe that's the right year, if not someone will correct me!)

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i'd say, for me, the sweet spot is closer to the bridge.

4. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I like The P-Bass pups.
    I play everywhere between the pups and Bridge, on the Pups. But when I play the Many WEEZER songs I go Rivers style and play off the neck.

5. I voted for the Stingray (I have one, and so am biased :D ) because I feel the pickup is in an almost perfect spot. It's far enough from the bridge so that it's not too bright, but far enough from the end of the fingerboard so that it's not boomy.

I think Leo The Great used a mathematical formula to figure out where to place the pup. I think it had something to do with the number 16? :confused:

I think a Stingray's pup is about half an inch further from the bridge than a regular Jazz bass, then add the second coil in front of that.

I also think that Music Man was the first Co. to use the term, "sweet spot," regarding pickup placement. Anyone know for sure?

I'd love to hear a P-bass with its pickup in the same spot as a Stinrgay.

I love Stingrays, but yesterday after work I played about 15 basses, mostly Fender. It was so good to play/hear/feel a Precision again. :hyper:

I played a '57 reissue, white blonde with a maple neck - :) So nice.

Mike

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I've had 2 P's, nice.
    I had a Pedulla Rapture 5, nice.
    I've got a '51 Benavente P/J, nice.

My punchiest is the bridge PUP in my Lakland dlx 55, when set on the neck coil. It'll cut through a massive drum kit and two guys playing Les Pauls just fine.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I am the only one who has discovered it so far? But i bet most of you have been playing bass for a longer time than me... hehe :p what are harmonics for if you dont experiment with them? the same goes for bass, too.
    The SWEEET SPOT has to do with the flageolets - aka harmonics. that sweet spot you are talking about is AFAIK near the 4th octave of the string, or the 1/16th of the string length - thats where your 16 comes in ;) and another harmonic, i cant tell you now which is it, as my bass is in the other room... :p

Hope this clears it up! :)

8. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Fender had it since the beginning with the early P-Basses.
    My Sting Bass has the P/U in Sweet spot.

9. That sounds like what I read, though I can't remember where I read it.

Thanks, mutantbassist.

Good job! :cool:

Mike

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks! I am not 100% sure about this though, maybe it was a bit closer to the other harmonic I cant remember? Anyway, you got the idea! :)

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    [​IMG]

See the sweet spot?

12. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

-Good sweet spot for snappy fingerstyle. A little further behind that "infamous" M.M. harmonic.

Check out the Westone Rail Bass. It has all the sweet spots!
    On this bass, the use of harmonics will quickly guide you to almost any of your favorite single PU sounds. It is not for headstock freaks, though.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For me the P bass has the sweet spot. Perfect tension.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not that I'm partial towards it, but I remember I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Modulus Quantum Sweet Spot several years ago. It was a real meaty sounding bass!

I bought a 2-pickup model instead of the Sweet Spot bass because of the store's offer.

Anyhoo...when I think of Sweet Spot, that bass comes to mind. :p

15. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I like pickup placement of the stingray personally.

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have to agree That is the best "Sweet Spot".

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not intending to offend anyone, but in all honesty, I believe the whole sweet spot thing is basically nonsense. I don't think there's really any such thing.

Except maybe for Laetitia Casta, of course. ;)

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Can't identify any "optimal" sweet spot.........it's all too dependent on the player, the player's touch, the tone they're after, the woods used, construction methods, setup/string height, blah,blah, blah.

You can sit down and calculate nodes and antinodes, but they all change with fretting position.

I have a pic, (in Tony Bacon's The Bass Book), of the test "bass" that Leo used at G&L to test pickups. It's just a G&L maple neck attached to a rectangular board with a bridge. The board is full of screw holes where Leo kept moving the pickups in his attempts to find sweet spots for pups in a "trial by error" process.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yeah, "sweet spot" is purely subjective... this is an opinion poll only. That said, I believe there's something sweeter about single-pup basses. To my ears, something is missing with double-pup basses, particularly when the blend is set 50-50.

I confess that since switching to 5-string my basses are all double-pup, but I generally use just the neck pup. Exception is my MTD 535, sounds better with a smidge of bridge pup dialed in. I do have a single-bucker D.Huff on order... pup is in the MM spot. I plan to order another with a pup in the P-bass spot.