Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who's got the urge?....i DO

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Aug 15, 2004.

1. or at least i want one, or a two
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    spending a thousand over for a fender. the least they could do is change those bridges to something better.

3. they're like $3500 down here :( , i want one though

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    There was one on ebay about 3 months back for $A1200 or so, and I'm pretty sure it never even got a bite. Ditto for a Kubicki X in Perth that (IIRC) closed without a bid for $A1k.

Keep your eyes and ears open, be patient, and you'll pick up a bargain. 'Unusual' basses sell for crap money down here usually.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What's wrong with the bridge?
    :confused:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its made by Fender.

7. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It's not a Badass Bass II Bridge.

And it sounds like crap :D

8. Avatar???
    =Megaman fan?

Vince

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    But, I have played great basses with that bridge, so the problem might not be the bridge.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Every bass does not need a badass II bridge, besides it is a stb bass. Badass II bridges do brighten up a bass but then again that's what the treble and hi-mid knobs on your amp head are for! My best sounding Fender basses are stb and have that same dlx bridge!

11. I got to play one of those UrgeII about 1 year ago. Very nice bass, however it was more limited than I'd hope for the dollars. I have a 92 Urge I (32" scale) bass and its a great player but way limited. The UrgeII was the newer upgraded version (34" scale) w/ more features and a longer scale for improved tone.
    What good about th bass is the playability, its got a superfast neck and nice ergonomics. The pickups are quiet and the EQ is decent. I thought this bass made a barely passable J-bass tone and a better but not beefy P-bass tone, and the mix of P-J was just louder, but not more full. I think fender and Stu have a great thing going here, but for $1300-1500 US I've played better fenders. Now I'm not saying its not a decent bass, it is, but its alot of dough.
    The urge I is a different sounding beast, and in that you hear the electronics and not the wood, the UrgeII is better in that department
    frank

12. yeah, one of my favorite local band's bass player had one...it looked beautiful...I later talked to the bass player, and she said she got one of the last black Urge II's with the tortoiseshell pickguard....it looked so cool, and put that through her Eden rig...mmm...blues heaven.

very good tone imo

13. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Just today i bought a URGE bass,(the original one, 99 i believe)and I never seen one,never played one,and never heard one.
    But with my new job I could afford all the basses I always wanted(and ones I really dont need)so after buying an american p-bass,japanese bullet bass, i figured on an active Fender.
    I wanted a smaller scale for a long time,and this bass fell into my lap,I hate mex fenders but there signature models are a bit better made,and for what i paid for it i could re-sell in a minute.
    ANY FEEDBACK ON THE BASS ? please ? :help:

14. i dont mind the urge 2's, but id prefer an urge 1, the 32" scale and the fenderised kubicki preamp, of course it chnge the preamp to a full kubicki preamp though :D

15. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i think that's the only way you should have a p/j combination.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hardly a surprise given that you would put a Kubricki preamp in your toaster if you could...

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Actually he already has. Didn't you see that thread? It's around here somewhere. The title had some awful pun about really hot jams. But we've forgiven Heath already, since he showed us the pics of his new Kubicki-ized lawnmower.

:bag: sorry. had to.

In all fairness, I can't laugh all that loud. I'm a Stu-worshipper too.

18. demolition- I have an Urge I, thats what i posted above and if you do a search you can read my and a few others comments on the UrgeI basses. Great playing basses, i can do things on that bass i haven't dreamt of doing on others, however I have found the tone to be mid focused (lightweight body, short scale). Its really is a bass designed for lead playing (ala Stu), and stu sounds amazing w/ it.
    IMO same w/ the Urge II, in Stu's hands its amazing bass. I do find it hard to believe that his basses aren't modd'ed in anyway. Considering stu has a 5 string Urge II and the preamps on his basses must be real kubickis, and not the versions i have. Cuz my urgeI doesn't get beefy.
    The mid boost setting really thickens the mids, the P-bass p'up solo'd gives a decent P tone, but it lacks fatness, and the J-pickups sounds okay.
    I've learned to play w/in its limits and i'm happy w/ the playability, the best part is these basses still command a decent resale price
    frank

19. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    the bass is alright. but, i have a bass with this bass bridge, <a href= "http://mailboxmusic.zoovy.com/product/BBR_INNCH"> Innvator Bass Bridge</a>, and it sounds very fantastic.

20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've seen them before, and wondered if they were any good. What bass do you have it on?