1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's handy with tools & home electrical?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
  2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Well, I'm replying anyway just for the sake of the pollsters.
    I'm a maintainance electrician @ Caterpillar Inc. and have replaced most of the 60year old wiring in my home.
    All the wires in the basement were accessible cuz of exposed rafters and in the attic above the 2nd floor cuz most of it goes to the top first then down to the switches/outlets.
    The wiring in the 1st floor walls is still there unmolested except for a couple rooms that I gutted for remodelling. Dadgum if the SOB's who put it in didn't switch some of the neutral wires instead of the hot:scowl: wires. Turning off a switch to a light still left the hot wire energized in a ceiling jct. box where I was putting in a ceiling fan.:bawl: It bit me but I suppose I shudda turned off the breaker any way. Just was too lazy to figure out which one it was.
    Did you have a particular question?

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Well, yes, I do now. Two.

I found that the outlet that I wanted to plug my amp into has the neutral and hot wires reversed, and my amp doesn't do well with this situation.

Question 1 - What do I do if I find this condition on a gig?

Question 2 - Why do some other amps work just fine on these outlets, and if they seem to work just fine, are they at risk of some sort of damage due to improper grounding?

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    One more question...

Question 3 - I'd like to fix it. I'd shut off the breaker, then take it apart and switch the two wires around, and put it all back together... any reason not to do it myself?

5. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    absolutely no reason not to do it yourself, its really easy and most people will charge you upwards of $100 for a service call, regardless of what you need done.
    i always brought an outlet tester with me to ALL my gigs, and checked things out before i plugged in. If you find one thats reversed, just find another to use and notify the manager.......

6. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    some equipment is more sensitive to it than others, but in general its not a good idea to run anything in an improperly wired outlet, it could easily lead to damaged equipment or a shock hazard.....

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Ground wires and white (neutral) wires get tied at the same terminal block in a service panel. That's the only place they should be tied together however. Only the white wire should carry current vs the bare ground wire but even if you were to touch it you wouldn't (shouldn't ) get shocked. The voltage potential exists in the black (hot) wire (or sometimes red ) cuz it's tied to the breaker.
    Even if all you have is black,white, and bare wires in a jct. box, verify that with a volt meter.
    Check each wire to ground. Only the black wire should have 110-130 volts. If the white wire has any volts at all, like something greater than 2, there may be suspect wiring.
    On a duplex 110v recepticle, the black (hot) wire goes to narrow slotted side and the white to the longer slotted side. The ground, if there is one, goes to a green screw usually threaded into the metal skeleton of the outlet.
    The grounding issue usually isn't with amps but for your own safety. You might get shocked through the strings in your instrument with backwards polarity. If the amp should happen to malfunction, say, a shorted power transformer or rectifier, that may cause the amps chassis to be electrically hot and you'd get shocked by touching it.
    Not much you can do if you have faulty wiring at a gig except to find a better source elsewhere. Line conditioners are intended to protect amps from these types of things.

8. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    SUBSCRIBED.

I know my household wiring a little, but never understood that you should test the hot black to the ground to determine whether it is the right hot. That's such an easy test, now that I understand it! One of those DUR! moments, I suppose. Heh heh.

This thread should be turned into a formal Home Wiring For Musicians thread.

And yes, keeping an outlet tester in your gig bag o' goodies is always a good idea. And an extension cord. If the outlet that isn't screwed up is on the other side of the stage, you'll need that cord!